close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indiana Is Failing To Help Sportsmen

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by David4759, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Indiana is failing to help sportsmen
    PHIL POTTER, Tri-State Outdoors
    Sunday, August 6, 2006

Illinois sportsmen have access to 497,439 acres of publicly owned land and are set to get more through a 14.3-percent state budget increase. Gov. Blagojvich and the General Assembly have earmarked $15 million for the sole purpose of acquiring public lands for hunting and fishing.

The 2007 Illinois budget also allows $428,000 for hiring 15 additional conservation officers. There's also a proposed $1.5-million facelift of state parks plus $10 million to enroll an additional 20,000 acres in the Conservation Reserve Enhancement program.

But while Illinois buys land and funds outdoor amenities, Indiana seems unable or unwilling to do so. Indiana's underfunded public fish and wildlife areas spend more time seeking ways to cut back. This year they've dropped sending various hunt applications through regular mail.

At Glendale FWA, all hunters for the put-and-take pheasant hunts will have to book on-line. Guys who don't have a computer could go to a friend's house or a public library to make their applications, but many won't. While the state saves postage, it cuts out hunters.

A couple of Indiana legislators, for the past four years, have refused to take the state's share of federal duck-stamp dollars. These sidetracked duck bucks wound up in other states' fish and wildlife coffers.

Isn't it time Indiana legislators take more interest in creating public areas?

2. Rowdy

Rowdy

Give "me amigo Mitch" a call. Indiana politics.......I think I hate them worst than Wal-Mart.

3. The article is comparing Illinois to Indiana. Illinois is bigger than Indiana area wise. But the population isnt even close. More people, more tax dollars to spend. I agree we need more public land for hunting and fishing purposes. But lets face it...Indiana does not have the tax base that most of our neighbors have. Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois are very populated states. We cannot compare ourselves to these states. Let us see what Iowa or Kentucky is doing with their tax dollars towards helping out the hunter or fisherman.

4. Just wonder why some of the money, from the "Major Moves" Road Lease couldn't be used. Kentucky has far less population than Indiana and their DNR has a surplus fund. I agree with you on Illinois though, they do have a larger population base, but on-the-other-hand, when Indiana did have some money and an oppertunity to buy some reclaimed land, here in Southern Indiana; they allowed it to get away from them. Now it's a housing development.

5. The DNR has purchased two places up here in the last few years. I dont know about down there. Maybe the private sector is just willing to cough up more money.

6. I am not aware of any purchases by the state other than Bluegrass F&G area. This is the area I was refering to that the State let it go by. But they did purchased about 2,000 acres, but the majority of it went to a developer, about 4 to 6 Thousand acres. Guess were lucky to have the 2,000 acres. Over the past several years the State has passed up numerous opportunities to purchase land for public use, in Southern part of Indiana.

7. what about goose pond and ravina woods. That's a lot of acres that the state bought in the last 2 years and both of those are primarly for hunting.

8. Another spot on the south side of Indy that was recently purchased is Fairbanks fwa , also i believe the state added some acres to Sugar Ridge fwa . Hopefully with all the fisherman & hunters , the elected officials will continue to improve our hunting & fishing access, if not then let our VOTES BE HEARD!!!!!!!:evilsmile

9. you are right iceman10, we always heard what other don't like and there is a lot of people who don't vote or they say why vote it don't matter anyway. I am 58 and I have voted every year since I came of age. YOUR VOTE DOES COUNT. It would be nice to have more public land to hunt on. Tri-County is close to me and I stop and talk to them in the office and sometimes there is no one hunting up there in weeks? Why I ask them and they said they do not know the answer.

10. Those area, you mention are fine for folks that live in Central Indiana, and I am certainly glad you Hunter up there.;) However, with the price of Gas being like it is ($3 + Per Gallon), a lot of Hunter down in SW Indiana would like to see newer Hunting grounds closer to them. Like I said the State did purchase 2,000 for Bluegrass F&W Area, but fail to purchase more land when they had the chance. Now we have that Game Area sourounded by Housing Subdivisions.

11. I AGREE WITH OTHERS ABOVE THAT YOU CANNOT COMPARE ILLINOIS TO INDIANA. ILLINOIS HAS MORE LAND, MORE PEOPLE, MORE BUSINESSES, AND THEREFORE MORE OF A TAX BASE. I WOULD BE WILLING TO COMPARE THE STATES ON A PERCENTAGE OF TAX REVENUES BASIS.

I KNOW WE JUST PURCHASED GOOSE POND, FAIRBANKS, AND MORGAN-MONROE ANNEX, AND THAT WAS NO SMALL FEAT CONSIDERING THE FINANCIAL CONDITION THAT THE STATE HAS BEEN IN LATELY. I WILL ALWAYS BE A PROPONENT FOR ADDITIONAL SPENDING ON PUBLIC LAND, AND BELIEVE IT SHOULD BE A CONSTANT GOAL FOR ALL ADMINISTRATIONS.

12. I used to live in Illinois and this is the first time in the last 6 years that Illinois has spent jack on the enviornment!!! They make it seem like they this is an increase well in a way it is because thee last few years they havent hired any CO's even thought many have retired. Try buying a boat in Il. and waiting four months minimum for plates. My friend is still waiting for plates for his trailer and it has been since March! Il is so far behind it isnt funny. The Gov. in Il is a complete moron and he is on his way out. He is a gungrabber from way back and could'nt care less about the sportsmen in his state. He wouldnt cover the cost of keeping a barrier to keep the Asian Carp out of Lake Michigan but now all of a sudden he craps money. Election year crap? Maybe. We are better off in IN.The money that is spent here is spent more wisely and not thrown to the wind. In. Conservation Director is an outdoorsman where as in Illinois it is the Gov's buddy. ALright somebody kick me off the soapbox.

13. Reporter needs to do his homework!

"This year they've dropped sending various hunt applications through regular mail."

Sorry Phil but as in years past you may still get special hunt applications in the hunting and Trapping guide available wherever licenses are sold. The move to computerize was great! If you make a mistake on he application you are prompted to correct it, on the mail in application you are deleted from the draw for an error of any type.

I guess Phil was also unaware of the Goose Pond purchase, 8,064 acres! David I think if you do a map quest you will find that this proerty is MUCH closer to the Evansville area than "central Indiana". Indiana also has a newconservation officer recruit class going at this time, 32 students. Again Phil Potter did not investigate what is happening in Indiana.

Currently IDNR is trying to gather funds to purchase Minnehaha a 12,000 acre reclaimed coal mine area presently on a 30 day renewable lease. Once more no investigation by a writer from the Evansville area...... do we see a pattern here?

Most would agree I am never one to shy from being critical of IDNR and its employees. I also commend them in their efforts when good things happen.Under the leadership of Kyle Hupfer IDNR has progressed farther in land purchases than the previous Administration(s). People seem to forget that Goose pond had been for sale for at least 8 years prior to Kyle arriving, and none of the previous directors had been succesful at "closing the deal".

We can't buy all of the Peabody coal property in southwest Indiana (Evansville area). Ask people in the Richmond area, Fort Wayne, Laffeyette areas, when do they get a new public area in their back yard?

BS article with no investigation..........

By the way, Minnehaha will cost approx 12 million dollars, IDNR thinks it can find 6 million. Who is going to ante up the remaining 6 million?

Joe Bacon

President IDHA

14. A few posts back someone said that the state added some acres to Sugar Ridge Fish & Wildlife Area. Would you know what additional land was added? If this is true then it would help some out in their hunting area "quest". As for Goose Pond, isn't that for hunting water fowl? I am not really a Duck or Goose Hunter, strictly a Small & Large Game Hunter. You ought to write Phil Potter and let him know about what you think of his article.

15. The state purchased approx 5000 acres of Interlake Steel property. This is in the Lynnville,spurgeon area's over to area 5. Alot of the area purchased used to be Log Creek hunting club.
    They had the option to purchase another 5000 and let it go. A single individual bought the property, then auctioned it off.
    Tanker