close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting Culling Article

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by anon782010, May 10, 2007.

1. interesting read
    a nice glimpse of the misinformation and general ignorance that goes on in our sport (as well as every other smaller cross segment of our society).
    some people get ideas in their heads with no scientific data to back it up...and you can't beat it out with a stick (its against the law)

2. Well, with the one-buck rule, we don't have to worry too much about culling here in Indiana -- most wouldn't waste their only buck tag.

3. The article brings up a very interesting and valid point; one in which Drs. Kroll and Koerth have obliterated forever (hopefully). Their recent study in Texas, which was done on properties with no high fences, proved once and for all that the "once a spike, always a spike" "theory" is just that.....BS.

I had a "hunter" tell me at Gander Mountain this past year, after I saw his 1.5 year-old 3 pointer in the back of a truck, that he was "weeding them out". I didn't understand how he considered weeding out an immature buck that hadn't even seen his 2nd birthday as valid. That guy had absolutely no way of knowing what that buck would've become in a couple or more years. He could have matured into a solid 10-pointer in a few more years. Bucks don't reach full, sexual maturity until after their 4th birthdays.

Again, education is the key to the future of deer hunting. That was an excellent read. Thanks Tyrone.