Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if any of the 4 kinds of buck jam in the liquid form good? I think they have sweet corn, apple, honey acorn, and persimmon!

Has anyone used Wild innovations Acorn Rage in a bag or Evolved Harvest brand crushed acorns in a bag with any success?

Is there any difference? I heard the bricks are not effective has the liquid or bags!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never used either of those but there is a berry scented block they sell at Tractor Supply that the deer in my neck of the woods go crazy for. I also use Trophy Rock and they seem pretty popular too.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used trophy rock for about 2 years! It works just like it said it does! I just thought I could give something else a try.

The Acorn rage I pored a pile of a 5.5lb bad 2.5 weeks ago and it is gone after two days! I don't really know how many deer touch it! I never see anything during the day touch it! I hear my dog bark at night toward that direction!

We have a resident opossum and skunk so I assume they would eat it has well!

Does anyone know if other animals use mineral licks and other supplants like acorn rage or buck jam? I don't have a working camera at the moment!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use Lucky Buck and that is the best that I have found so far.
Occasionally I will get a photo of a raccoon on it, but not very often.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was buying all of my mineral and supplants from rural king and my local walmart. I tried ordering some from bass pro shops online! But it gets expensive with shipping for the heavy products!

Itired Evolved Harvest Roasted Corn Freaks! I believe that is the name! It is ground up sweet corn! It was gone in 3 days!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just laid some acorn rage infront of my cam. Will let u know this weekend if I get any pics using it

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't grammer school! This is an informal forum! That is the way I type. Back to the my original questions and post...............

I started using bags of ground up corn or acorns the alst few days of July, 2013. It is has been a few weeks! I think it does a good job of bringing in the deer.

Now I have plenty of natural food for them like apples all over the ground. My apple and persimmon trees have been slowly dropping apples since June 1st. I had a 1/2 food plot of 7-10 varities of clover mixed with chicory, oats, triticale a little wheat, daikon radish, turnip, rape brassica, and 1/5 acre plot of forage soybeans mixed with lab lab beans and ebony cowpeas. I used a no till foodplot mix from evolved harvest that had brassica, clover and tetraploid rye grass mixed with pereinnal rye grass, timothy grass, orchard and kentucky blue grass in my yard!

Although my idiot father ran the riding lawnmower twice a week from late May to late July and killed all the blue grass, timothy and orchard grass plus I lost half of my clover and all of my brassicas! Yeah we both were yelling and cursing at each other every week. My dad telling my his yard isn't going to be turned in a pasture filled with snakes, hornets, yellow jackets and yelling that it would reduce his property value! My mother had to get between us several times! I spent over $5,000 in native trees, shrubs, wildflowers, and wildlife friendly grasses and food plot mixes to bring wildlife into our small 3 acre land tract for personal enjoyment and potential future hunting! My father mowed the yard down to the lowest level killing everything! He hasn't touch the yard because he ran over a piee of metal and broke the deck and blades and now we have bermuda, crabgrass, barnyard grass, fescue, and weeds growing in our yard!

Thank goodness for the apple and persimmon trees and my food plots my mom let me have! I still have 12 chestnut trees I am growing!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are placing anything edible or anything that gets absorbed into the ground and don't remove the source along with the contaminated soil 2 weeks prior to season then you can be facing a c misdemeanor, $500 fine, and 30 days in jail with added probation... Don't ask me how I know

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That wasn't what we are talking about!

I am attracting deer and wildlife to my property for the scenic and enjoyment! Plus I don't own any bows or hunting equipment and have no plans to hunt for at least one or two years!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have Trophy Rocks in front of my trail camera. The deer really seem to like it, so do the *****.

I thought about putting some Sugar Beet Crush in front of the camera and seeing how the deer like it. That stuff is expensive though!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw the sugar beet crush and some of the other brands! I thought I saw one brand that was ground alfalfa but it seems acorns seen to be popular and apples in my area!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You're right. This isn't Grammer school, just felt like you were screaming. I'd scream alot if I paid $15 for a pound of ground up corn and oats as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't pay $15 a bag! Not sure where you got those prices I am paying $6-7 for a 5.5 lb bag. The buck jam goes for $9.99 for a gallon. It is well worth it! Being single, never married and no kids makes it easy to pay for that! Not to mention I don't have a morgage car payment, or lease!

Rural King and Walmart have the best prices for minerals and supplants in my area!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use just the cheap $10 mineral blocks that you can buy at gander mountain. Seem to work well and they last about a month. But I just use them during the summer to see what is wandering around. I make sure they are off the property well in advance of deer season so I don't have to worry about DNR. Besides... I haven't hunted over bait in years. I grew up in Michigan where baiting was legal for many years. I have shot more deer hunting pinch points and natural funnels then I ever have over a bait pile. I plant brassicas in the late summer just to give the deer some feed during the late fall and try and keep them on the property. They tend to leave once the crops are gone due to so many people planting winter wheat around my hunting property. Going to try and get the farmer to leave me a couple of rows of corn up this year for late season. Good luck with you future property! and Father!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any way! I am trying to use bagged supplants with the least amount of salt in them! My trophy rock is killing everything out it touches. I heard that one trophy rock sterilizes the ground for at least 5 years so no plants grow back! I put one in one spot last October behind some pine trees and we got alot of snow and rain that winter and spring! The spring flowers still showed up! I guess it just depends on how much has fallen on the area. I choose a spot this time where I won't ever plant anything in the future just in case.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
In my experience nothing beats corn for drawing in deer.

I've used a lot of products in front of a trail camera and corn is what they seem to like the best.

I've used Lucky Buck and they had no interest in that. I've used Acorn Rage and had no action. I've used a bale of alfalfa and they barely touched it.

I dump out a bag of corn and it is usually gone within a week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used trophy rock for 4 years and have always gotten great deer pics as well as rabbits, squirrels groundhogs and even pheasants on camera. I have used acorn rage and Cmere deer and didn't get nearly as many results as with trophy rock...I am thinking about trying BB 2 from Big and J for an added supplement to the mineral

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't say much until I get my camera fixed! My trophy rock has been out for 3 weeks and looks a little smaller and is now shiny all over compared to when you buy it and it looks like a dusty rock! We had no rain so the rain didn't make it shiny! I think my dog and coupleof my outdoor cats might be licking it too! I noticed the top part of my new acorn rage pile has been ate since I put more out 12 hours ago! My dog was going nuts every day this week between 9pm-midnight! She was barking vicously at something near my mineral site direction.

We have a full grown striped skunk and opossum that live in our area and use our yard every night plus I have seen 3 adult rabbits so I guess any of those animals could try and eat ground acorns.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts