21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Although my idiot father ran the riding lawnmower twice a week from late May
to late July and killed all the blue grass, timothy and orchard grass plus I
lost half of my clover and all of my brassicas! Yeah we both were yelling and
cursing at each other every week. My dad telling my his yard isn't going to be
turned in a pasture filled with snakes, hornets, yellow jackets and yelling that
it would reduce his property value! My mother had to get between us several
times! I spent over $5,000 in native trees, shrubs, wildflowers, and wildlife
friendly grasses and food plot mixes to bring wildlife into our small 3 acre
land tract for personal enjoyment and potential future hunting! My father mowed
the yard down to the lowest level killing everything! He hasn't touch the yard
because he ran over a piee of metal and broke the deck and blades and now we
have bermuda, crabgrass, barnyard grass, fescue, and weeds growing in our yard!
Haha, that was convenient wasn't it? You should have put that chunk of metal in the yard back in May...

As for the exclamation points, they don't bother me, I just get the impression that you are an excitable kind of guy.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I ended up getting a bag of Sugar Beet Crush and put it out in front of a camera. I want to see what the deer think of it. It is in the same place as a Trophy Rock.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I get excited talking about wildlife and wildlife conservation! No one in my family is interested in it. My dad is just a jerk. He likes seeing the wildlife but only if it is songbirds. He yells at me for not putting any suet and sunflower seeds in feeders during the warm months. I told him why should I feed the birds doing the warm months with all the greens and insects plus suet goes bad in the hot sun. I am interested in white-tailed deer, rabbits, squirrels, and wild turkey coming into my yard. I really got into it when I saw the red fox tracks and see the fox run into my neighbors woods. I found some large bobcat tracks in my deer trail! That really made me happy!

Anyone tried planting any fall food plots yet?

I am not taking a risk of wasting money with a mini-drought going on in August. I will wait until the first week of sept. at least.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my experience nothing beats corn for drawing in deer.

I've used a lot of products in front of a trail camera and corn is what they seem to like the best.

I've used Lucky Buck and they had no interest in that. I've used Acorn Rage and had no action. I've used a bale of alfalfa and they barely touched it.

I dump out a bag of corn and it is usually gone within a week.
When I used corn in front of my cameras, They were usually filled up with **** and squirrel pictures. I did get some deer picts, but usually it was the same family of a doe and her fawns munching on the corn.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have put ears of field corn out for deer for an experiment on my property over 10 years ago!

It was a bad idea or at least I didn't get the results I wanted! The only animals that ate the field corn on ears were fox squirrel, gray squirrel, raccoon, and oppossum. I sit and watched 5 or 6 squirrels during the day fighting over the ears. Never say any deer during the daytime or tracks near the corn.

On the bright side! The turkey hen and two juvenile turkeys were back in my food plot munching on green clover, etc. The only other green thing left was a few soybean plants, a few chicory plants, and a handful of daikon radish and turnips. There was oats and triticale that are brown with seed heads laying around. I have been told turkeys love seed from oat and triticale.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right???????????? Grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
No doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the buck jam I use it every year and have good luck with it. I put out a 50# brown trace mineral block from Rural King and break the block up with a hammer and pour the jam over the block. I do this mainly to get the deer to use the mineral block. The deer don't like the brown trace mineral blocks nearly as much as pure salt blocks but it is much more beneficial than just plain salt. I only use minerals in spring/summer and then in the winter to get pics to survey the herd, after hunting season, I like to use just plain old corn. I don't buy any of the bag products....just corn.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just use corn too, in addition to my mineral sites. The only time that corn has been ineffective for me is one time I had a camera site right next to a cornfield. The critters were hitting it pretty hard until about September, then they just stopped eating it. My hypothesis is that they just started eating the corn in the fields they were living in rather than venturing out to my pile.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Corn is the best way I have found to bring deer in fast for pictures. ***** will eat it just as much and I believe they urinate on it or something at times to keep the deer off. Occassionally I will get pictures of tons of deer. Then a family of ***** come in and after they eat there the deer sightings drop dramatically the days following. I am certain now that ***** do something that the deer dont like. Just not sure what yet lol

I have found that there is nothing that is a for sure thing. If you want a lot of pictures fast and are ok wasting some shots on ***** then go with any shelled corn.

If you are going to set a camera and not check it for a month or two then corn isnt the best option. In that case I would use some mineral of some kind mixed into the dirt with a large mineral block. to help the deer to find it I would dump some molasses in the area (it smells strong and deer like it) and i usually whip some of that up into the trees surrounding the area to allow the scent to travel so the deer can find the bait site immediately.

I have learned with corn that NO MATTER how much u place out if wont last longer then a week in areas with a decent deer concentration. Last year I checked my cameras almost weekly and the corn was always gone after a 3-4 days. This year I tried two 50# bags of corn in a few areas and it still only lasted 4-5 days. I thought Id get double the time out of it but I didnt. Investing in a time released feeder would be smart i guess.

I have also found that just 20 miles apart some deer will go nuts for WI mineral when other areas they hardly touch it. Deers mineral needs and desires are different based on what they already have in the area.

Just experiment with a few different things and see what works for you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm not sure why, but I rarely have pictures of just ***** eating corn. Typically if there is a **** in the picture, there is a deer there as well. It is kind of funny, because the sequence usually involves the deer chasing the **** away from the corn pile.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This year we have a 37.5 acres field of field corn on two side of property plus a 60 acre tract of field corn. The dry weather this year caused our neighbors corn to not fill out. We have crows all over the place the last two weeks. I think I counted at least 15 crows attack our neighbors corn field.

I have talked to one biologist that said most corn is not used by deer has a food source until the ears form. There is something around the sharp leaves that does something to lining of the deer stomach. Makes sense. I never see any deer eat the green part of the plant just the ears and silk. Basically I see deer just use our corn fields between May and August has travel corridors and cover.

I just can't keep the deer from eating my winterberry holly and american hazelnut shrubs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Results of me using Evolved Harvest Apple Flavored Buck Jam on a apple tree stump two weeks ago were terrible. No hoof prints, and the stump was left untouched and we had no rain during that time.

The Acorn Rage is doing a decent job and bringing in some deer. All of them being does and fawns. I think it takes 3-4 days for this to be ate up. It also has soybeans, and other grains in it.

Evolved harvest Acorn Frenzy is great! 100% Ground White Acorns with no fillers! I pore it out and the entire 6 pound bag is gone in 1.5 days.

My local deer are into acorns not apples. My apple trees were apples all over the ground are left to rot. Unless my local deer herd is small or they have plenty to eat elsewhere. Not sure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just curious if any of the 4 kinds of buck jam in the liquid form good? I think they have sweet corn, apple, honey acorn, and persimmon!

Has anyone used Wild innovations Acorn Rage in a bag or Evolved Harvest brand crushed acorns in a bag with any success?

Is there any difference? I heard the bricks are not effective has the liquid or bags!
Deer are naturally curious. My research has taught me that I draw the best deer - bucks and does - with an attractant that plays on their natural curious nature. I have apples and corn and some oaks - they can browse all of those masts and fruits all over. What I don't have is persimmons. I have effectively used EH Wild Persimmon for almost 15 years and not only does it draw year in and year out, but it also produces bigger racks and healthy-boned fawns by the nourishment of the does' milk. So everybody wins. Pick a jam that is least like any food source common to your area. Pour it on a stump and turn on the trail cam. Select a perfect spot for your tree stand first. Then watch 'em come! Safe hunting!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deer are naturally curious. My research has taught me that I draw the best deer - bucks and does - with an attractant that plays on their natural curious nature. I have apples and corn and some oaks - they can browse all of those masts and fruits all over. What I don't have is persimmons. I have effectively used EH Wild Persimmon for almost 15 years and not only does it draw year in and year out, but it also produces bigger racks and healthy-boned fawns by the nourishment of the does' milk. So everybody wins. Pick a jam that is least like any food source common to your area. Pour it on a stump and turn on the trail cam. Select a perfect spot for your tree stand first. Then watch 'em come! Safe hunting!
Thanks for the info, will try this for the next season.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts