Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antler restrictions do work. I'm from east TX and the size and quantity of bigger bucks are obviously noticeable since the rule came into place 20 years ago. Most bucks are busted up so bad come November, it will make you want to become a annual early season bow hunter just to kill a nice buck with all of it's tines and beams still in tact. I see excuses why not to introduce the idea, like lengthy rifle seasons hurt deer heard quality and there's less big bucks, or it just doesn't work topics. East Texas has a lengthy rifle season and it definitely hasn't hurt the numbers or quality. Genetics can help, but age always helps when it comes to a mature heard ultimately creating a bigger challenge. Older bucks can be harder to kill and sometimes keep getting older after that 3 to 4 year old illusive behavior and stealthy patterns. Older buck heards mean more rewards in the deer hunter's world.

·
Registered
414 Posts
well just like fish regs, one size doesnt fit all. managing deer with small private owned properties is way different than wide open ranges. just like fish regs for tiny lakes and huge reservoirs. same regs dont work for both.

when you have the situation like we have, management is just a dream. 50-400acres farms with scattered wood lots(that are slowly disappearing still!) a lot of the farmers around here are poachers along with their kids. they even pressure the DNR and get depredation permits to legally slaughter them! every few years some night hunters get pinched but its still bad. DNR are under staffed for as many people there are. with more people you will have more unethical people. when every hundred acres woods has 3-5 guns in it the deer dont fare well.

personally i couldnt care less about horns. hunting is for meat and thats all its supposed to be for. its not a sport in my opinion. if the unethical werent hunters the regs might have an effect. i had to take up bow hunting again, to be sure to put three in the freezer, for the year.

as for regs, the DNR was one of the worst downfalls of our deer herd. years ago deer were thick. then they opened up 4 doe limits in most counties. dont take a biologist to figure out whats going to happen as many hunters per mile we have. add in the poachers and baiting idiots. then they didnt change the regs until a couple years ago when even tracks were scarce! they cater to lobbyists/insurence companies for the most part it seems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
not much goes on here but welcome to the site TX. i have family in your great state from pampa to galveston. always enjoyed my stays down there! from speed goats and 6ft of snow in the north to the sweaty late nights giging flounder in the bay. memories are all golden from TX. (well, they used to be)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Texas has been home for over 4 decades. This forum does seem kinda quiet. As for the random kill'n of the herd by random folks, I comprehend that scenario. It goes on in every county\ parish across America where there's deer. It is frustrating, but it is basically figured in on part of the count by wildlife biologist. Deer hit by vehicles could far exceed even the worst of the do wrong crew. East Texas has it's bus loads of outlaws, and the quality of the herd there has prevailed even with the introduction of doe tags, late season spike hunts, outlaws, ect. In the end, forcing the percentage of the folks that will follow the rules will see real and positive results. Meat hunters typically have the if it's brown it's down motto, often killing the youngest of the herd. When there's restrictions on antlers, it forces you to let the deer walk and live if it doesn't make the cut. That's what adds up in the end. I can remember a female warden walking into a local meat processor and writing a guy a ticket for a buck that was 1\4 of an inch under the 13" inside spread rule. Trust me, it does catch on, and all those little 1 and 2 year old bucks hanging from a tree or A frame start to be unseen. In there place is 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 year old bucks that use to be a rarity. As for fishing? I've caught ship loads and threw half of them or more back. A slot system works good, and the take all of them home doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts