Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, after 9 yrs my beater ZJ had the transmission go. Rusty enough it wasn't worth fixing (had 235K miles on the engine).
I'm not as young/strong/motivated as I once was, so after my back popped I decided to not yank the lift kit for the replacement ZJ.
Just scrapped the old gal out.

But I did keep my new style 32x11.50 Goodyear MTRs on Procomp 1069 wheels.

Now the dilemma......

Do I budget boost this Jeep and hack the heck out of my fenders and run these tires, or just run 31's (with the BB and no hack)?
Hate to sell my old rims/tires............would be great if I scored a Wrangler TJ next yr.

Not keen on a fender hack, since this replacement ZJ isn't rusty.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle
The 94 with old style MTR. Was a good ride/deer hauler. Front to rear 3.5" lift. Kinda weird riding around in a stock ZJ.........with cushy springs. Me no likey. But when your back is out............is a LOT easier getting in with no lift. So the BB and 31's could a good enough for when things are bad.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got about 40K on the old style MTR. New style.........not many miles. Paid a lot for em, like em.............just take up a lot of garage space sittin on the floor. Might post them for sale in a week......if the sawzall hasn't gone to work on the 98.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankfully the 98 isn't fully blinged with gold like the 94 was. Horrible, had to yank the trim and redo with black.
HUGE cosmetic difference. Speaking of cosmetics.............I'd really like to do the 98 like the 94, same lift/tires.................but the problem is...........

I'm not going to waste those $$$ tires running them on a full time 4wd. That's just stupid. My old 94 lost the 249 about 5 yrs ago, so I did the 242 swap and had part time 4wd.

Saves the tires and picks up some MPG too.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my 98's 249 T case craps out, then I'll do a 231 or 242 swap.
Or just pay to have it done. Since this one isn't rusty and the trans was already rebuilt...........I should be able to get the T case out and the new one in, in just a couple of hrs.

Maybe even under a 12 pack ;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sold my tires, to a Jeep guy that knew what they were, and the price a deal.
Sorry Rio, that pic is a ZJ (Grand Cherokee 93-98).

It has been replaced with another white 5.2L ZJ (no rust). Interior is a bit rough though.
Got spacers and after deer season will slap those on, and go with 31's.

Reactions: Rio_Grande
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.