close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jim Zumbo sounds off...

Discussion in 'Reloading, Target Shooting, and Modern Firearms' started by anon782010, Feb 19, 2007.

1. While checkin up on another forum, I came across a thread in reference to a blog by Jim Zumbo. You can read it for yourself and see what you make of it.

I will also post the link so that you can see the THOUSANDS of comments made.

My question is, what do you think?

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.
    I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.
    I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."
    Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

At the top of the blog you will see his next entry which is his haphazard apology.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Zumbo realized pretty quickly this could be a career ending move and started apologizing all over the place. He even scheudled a hunt with the Ted Nugent using ARs so he could learn more about them.

That said though, what he said is unacceptable and I hope every firearm sponser drops him like a turd that's been stuck for a week.

They can have my coyote killin' AR when the take it from my cold dead hands.

3. While I'm not a fan of AR's or AK's (and yes, I've owned them) in general, to say they have no place in hunting or shooting sports is pretty lame. I'd never use one, but to each his own. I can't see why there would be a problem using one especially in a predator or varmint thinning program.

Zumbo is a tool. Always has been, always will be. (my opinion of course):bouncy:

4. Looks like Zumbo's mouth is big enough to insert his foot. Think before you speak. Fodder for the anti's, right there.

5. Remember what I said about how the Anti's will leap on anything that smacks of "Hunters don't need X?" - Especially when it's posted on a Hunting Site? It took the Brady Bunch's pet Bloggers all of a couple of minutes to use Jumbo's words against us.

http://tinyurl.com/2fu3mx

Tread carefully with your words my friends.

6. I really kind of doubt he recovers from this...

7. So is this to be the new reason to let in rifles? If we don't the antis will gain ground against us? We don't need them, Zumbo was right on the money there. Just my 2 cents there, go ahead and feel free to bash me now. :bonk:

8. Quail, you are obvisoulsy judging these guns by their looks and not their abilities. PLEASE STOP THE DISCRIMINATION. The ACLU could get involved if this continues. :evilsmile

Seriously though, HDRs (Homeland Defense Rifles) are accurate, look great and are easy to maintain, Why wouldn't someone want to hunt with these. I pity anyone who worries about the perception they give other people while the are hunting. Should we stop wearing our camouflage to wal-mart too? What about people that deer hunt with synthetic shotguns, they look an awful lot like police shotguns.

That and he associated the people who use them with terrorists. That right there is reason enough to call him a douche bag IMO.:coco:

OK, I'll shut up about this now!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  9. well i have a tendency to agree with zumbo but i can't rebutt youralls opinion cause i know where your coming from. at the same time these rifles are always going to carry the stigma of being terrorist rifles or rifles used to kill innocent people sitting in mcdonalds or someone using them in a place like columbine. it's like the stigma from people using prozac. that doesn't make them crazy but the public image of it linked with mental illness will never change. i would rather fight the anti's than have the public hunters image thought of carrying AK 47's by the general public. although the anti's carry some strenght there are still 100's of thousands of young people in this country that are still to be swayed one way or the other. which image do we want them to see us in?

10. :evilsmile How about this shotgun:

[​IMG]

:yikes:

Heck, it's only a singleshot NEF even....

Evil Black Rifles indeed... :banghead3

11. Well, since i started it , i guess i should have an opinion right?

It is no different than anything else. WWJLD? What would James Lyon Do?

If James Lyon carried an AR-15, he would do so in a respectible manner that would show the world that the AR-15 is, in fact, a highly effective gun, and is, in no way, any more a danger than anything else.

Then, there is that moron. You know that moron, we all know that moron. That guy that makes a nerf gun look like it should be outlawed. The perception of the firearm depends upon the person that is carrying it. These are fun guns to shoot, and I am sure (as I have heard) that they can be turned into fantastic varmit rifles. I am sure that their useful life does not end there.

To be viewed postitivly, we just need to get James using one...thats all...

12. The Government doesn't think we need ARs either...

http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/110/h/h1022.pdf

And remember folks, people who own these rifles will to a man back you uneqiuvically in your rights to own your shotgun, pistol, leveraction, or muzzle loader, what have you. Please return the favor. Your gun rights are won or lost here and now.

13. I am all for making morons illegal. Like Ron White says tought, "You can't fix stupid"

14. Government and Nanny Staters sure want to try though...