Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I want to get into Kayak fishing. Mostly flatwater [Yellowwood, Dogwood, Starve Hollow, E. Fk White River]. I've been looking at the sit-on-top models 10 ft and under. Here are the 5 models I'm considering purchasing. Ascend D10T, Sun Dolphin Journey SS10, Pelican Strike 100X Angler, Lifetime Tamarack 120 Angler, Heritage Angler 10. I'm looking for something really stable that once I get used to it, I'd like to be able to stand in it. Does anyone know where to purchase the Tamarack or the Heritage locally? The others I can get on line with free shipping. Or does anyone know where they have a large selection of Kayaks here in central/southern Indiana. ANY info on any Kayak and tips for a beginner will be greatly appreciated. Trying to stay under my $500 budget and 10 ft in length. Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dunham's, Gander Mountain, Dick's sporting goods and I think McSports carries kayaks locally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kayaks

Like Kylebstate1 said. Gander Mountain in Evansville has them as does Dick's Sporting Goods store.

You can get one on sale in the fall or end of summer sometimes. You should be able to get something for under $500.

Dunham's, Gander Mountain, Dick's sporting goods and I think McSports carries kayaks locally

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gander Mtn and Dick's Sporting in Evansville both have a good selection of yaks. I bought a sit-in fishing kayak at Dick's, several years ago. It's pretty stable but I haven't tested the limits since I am usually out alone. My fear is swamping it and not being able to recover it or my gear. As far as sit-on-tops go, that's what I first started out on when I lived in Connersville, IN. The problem is, they can be easy to roll or get rolled on faster waters. I learned that the hard way in freezing water.
As far as standing up to fish on a yak, I'd recommend buying a stabilizer kit to keep from rolling or swamping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Pelican Catch PWR 100 is a 9'8" kayak already rigged up with battery box and wiring for trolling motor. Seat adjusts forward/back and swivels and has a mount on back for a trolling motor or 2.5hp gas motor. Cost is $990 or so at Bass Pro plus $100 or so shipping, taxes, and stuff. I love mine. I use a Newport Vessels 36# thrust trolling motor and it really zips along. This Yak is for serious fishing. Most of the rest are for playing around and paddling.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts