Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
went every year for 20 yrs. then the alewives crashed and with it the salmon numbers. havent been up there since but 1 time. its a mere shadow of what it was. still fish to catch, dont get me wrong. its long drive for me so its not worth it anymore. i sure hope the numbers can come back some day. had some regret times with family and friends up in salmon country.

i havent heard anything about the alewives. are their numbers coming up at all?

·
Registered
456 Posts
the internet used to be good for info but not so much anymore. we have all learned to keep qiet about spots over the years. lots of folks out there just looking to cash in on your hard work. spot snipers they are called. low life couch potatoes that dont want to work to find fish.

i used to fish the creek and mouth area at mi city for coho in march. go there in march/apr with slip floats and trout powerbait. youll score coho when they come in. i never targeted salmon there. sorry

·
Registered
456 Posts
dug up a pic from the good ol days when stocking was high.
Seafood Wood Fish Plant Cuisine

and that was every trip down to the river. everyone had stringers full. one year there were 5 of us in camp. the 2 big coolers full of frozen fillets weighed 240#. one of my friends just got back from weekend and said it was a ghost town.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04095300 TRAIL CREEK AT MICHIGAN CITY, IN temp was key for us along with a rise in level. i seem to remember around 45* was prime runs. find your gaging station and monitor it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dug up a pic from the good ol days when stocking was high.
View attachment 19152
and that was every trip down to the river. everyone had stringers full. one year there were 5 of us in camp. the 2 big coolers full of frozen fillets weighed 240#. one of my friends just got back from weekend and said it was a ghost town.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04095300 TRAIL CREEK AT MICHIGAN CITY, IN temp was key for us along with a rise in level. i seem to remember around 45* was prime runs. find your gaging station and monitor it.
awsome man thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts