close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LAKE GAGE (hard water)

Discussion in 'Northeast Indiana Fishing Reports' started by COCKROACH69, Aug 15, 2006.

1. so tell me does anyone ever ice fish lake gage??? i was told the ice never gets safe on lake gage

2. If you are talking about the one in stueben county they do fish it a little. You are right about the ice. when it does freeze they fish the big weed bed in the northwest corner of the lake out from the channel from Lime. There are some nice perch in there. They fish lime more. about 150 yrds out infront of the docks for the camp ground. There is ussally a shanty out there most of the winter.

3. I've lived on Gage for 9 years now. In that time, I've never once stepped foot on the ice. You could not pay me enough to step out there. I've seen many people ice fish it, mostly in the southwest portion. But I've also seen guys fish an area one day and then the next day it is open water. There are too many springs and currents in the lake to keep the ice stable for any length of time. There are a lot of winters when the majority of the lake does not freeze. If you look along most of the shore line, you can see how soft and cracked the ice tends to be.

Go for it if you want, but not his boy.:chicken:

4. -- thanks for all the warnings i think i will fish lake gage till fall then hit it again in the spring i need 8" of ice or i don't go on it & the way it sounds i better just stay off that not so hard water

5. Be careful. I know my limits, and everyone's are different. It's all about safety. I am comfortable on 3.5/4 inches, then I'll be out there.

6. less than 4 inches i cant do it no way i get nervous with 8-10 under my feet:hide: