close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Land etiquette

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by ChapstickCharlie, Feb 19, 2006.

1. First off, is that how you spell etiquette? Anyway, Got a question for all you morel hunters in here, what is your stance on 'accidentally' or other wise finding yourselves on someone elses property morel hunting? Do you do it ? Do you do it on purpose? Would you?

2. I have some buddies that do it, but I try to stay away...always feel like a criminal when I'm on someone else's property. I can't have fun finding mushrooms when I'm always looking over my shoulder.

3. Sorry, but this is a sore spot with me. I got tired of hearing I thought this was blank blanks land. So one year I had eight people arrested and that took care of it. I asked one couple that was there with there kids. What would you do if you came home and I was eating cookies and drinking milk on your couch and I said I thought that this was Blanks house? Would you be mad, upset and have me arrested? THey said yes but this is different. I said NO, NO. This is my personal private property and that is your Personal private proterty. I told them to get a job and buy there own land.

4. nope trespassing is trespassing :banghead3 :banghead3
    'i'll hit mostly public land and few privet property's that i have permission to hunt as well.

5. I will not go on land I do not have permission to hunt for any purpose. If I am not 100% sure where the property line ends and another begins I'll back off and go where I am certain. I do not want to have to explain to someone that I thought I was on "so & so's property". It makes the landowner you do have permission to hunt on look bad too, giving some nimrod permission and then they venture off on someone else's land. In a couple of months SR 63 here in Vigo County will be littered with vehicles pulled off the side of the road due to people mushroom hunting on property they don't even know who owns. If I was the landowner I'd have a contract already written up with a tow truck service and have all the trespasser's vehicles hauled off and make them pay for it along with court costs after having them arrested.

treehugger

6. It is all about respect for other people and their property

7. If I see a woods or land I would like to walk on. First I find out who owns it and then I pull in there driveway get out and knot on the door and I ask and if they say yes I smile and if they say NO I smile and say thank you. Just think about it would you like it if you had the ground and found strangers on it. Please be kind and do what the owner says. This is one reason things are the way they are today NO RESPECT.

8. I just don't understand how there is even a question about this?

Unlike wildlife which belongs to the people and the state, mushrooms belong to the LANDOWNER. To re-use the cookies and milk analogy used earlier, not only would you be breaking into his house and watching his TV, you would be eating HIS cookies and drinking HIS milk. There is no difference in picking someone else's mushrooms and going into their garden next to their house and picking their tomatoes. I hate trespassers, hope to prosecute a few this year.

9. I hope no one has gotten the impression that ChapstickCharlie condones in any way trespassing when mushroom hunting? I think his post, if I read it correctly, was asking for the moral 'pulse' of the hunter only. He thinks, and call him crazy, that open discussion of these important topics can only help keep in sharp focus the true compass of todays sportsmen, thus illuminating their high ground. Chuck owns property himself and will gladly do a Cheney (pepper spray in the face metaphorically) anyone caught pickin in his crib. He just likes to hear that he is right in his thoughts from tme to time, hence the subject of this type of post. So, and more importantly, how do you spell 'etiquette' anyway?
    Chuck's Momma.

10. I always try to treat others as I want to be treated. I don't want uninvited guests on any property I own, so I don't trespass on other people's property.