Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy interested in deer hunting recently and he is just starting out. He asked me today what the rules or specifications are as far as using landowner tags to tag your deer. He asked if there was a certain amount of acres you had to own and how many deer you could tag with a landowner tag. I told him i thought as long as you owned the land there was no minimum acreage you had to own, and that you could tag as many as your county quota will allow. Could anyone shine some light on this subject for me a little bit? Thanks all

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have hunted for years as a landowner since i own my own woods. The law says as long as it is zoned for agriculture and you own or lease the land you don't have to buy a tag, but where you could get into trouble is if the deer runs over to land you don't own and you go retrieve it. You better have a state tag before you transport. I have always taken good shots, but the older i get i'm thinking a bought tag is pretty cheap insurance just in case your shot is off a little.

·
Registered
805 Posts
agreed copperhead, i hunt under landowner also but i also bought a tag just for extra safety for that purpose. Because if that deer jumps property lines and you find it on the neighboring property and a CO shows up you might have alittle pi$$ing match over whether you shot it on your property or not. Just alittle extra insurance

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your name just needs to be on the deed for the property on which you are hunting. Other names can be on the deed. Zoning does not matter. Farming does not matter. I have family property where I am on the deed with a brother and sister. All three of us can use landowner tags on that property. I do, however, carry a resident archery license and a bonus license in my wallet as I do hunt other properties.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not so fast Harrison Hunter!

I called the DNR on this because I am interested in doing this to save a little money. The land does have to be for agriculture! Whoever is on the deed and his immediate family (sons, daughters, et al) are allowed to hunt on this property using a landowner tag. I suggest visiting the Hunting/Trapping Guide at www.in.gov/dnr. If you have other questions call them the DNR. The lady made it very clear that they watch these tags very closely. It seemed to me that the do not like to allow people to use landowner tags because they lose revenue. I bought a license, as many others did, as a backup.
Actually, I am going to copy and paste exactly what the DNR says about license exemptions for land owners. Harrison Hunter you may want to look at this in case a CO finds you using this on land that is not used for agriculture:
taken from page 3 of the Indiana Hunting and Trapping Guide pdf version.
"License Exemptions
...Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing, or trapping on the land they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation, or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adapted for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes."

Just remember you should probably go to the DNR if you ever have a question. A CO has the ability to take your house, car, gun, etc. and fine the crap out of you if you are breaking "their" rules. I hope this information was helpful, and I did not mean to offend anyone.

See you in the trenches.

Scott

Sgt/USMC

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adapted for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes."

I hunt my own on a land owners tag. Although part of the land is currently cut for hay, there are no crops or livestock but was in the past. It can easily be "adapted for" any of the above, and we do timber occassionally. The ticket is that it's been assessed as agricultural land and I pay those taxes, therefore, I hunt on the land owner's tag. Off of my property, you bet I've got a license in hand!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am wondering do those farmland owners still need to check in the deer? I don't see a provision for checking in a deer online. It keeps asking for a license number?.....
I could be wrong, but I think anyone who harvests a deer needs to check it in. But after looking at the rules for this year, they don't mention how a land owner should check in with out a license #.

Also, am I correct in reading there will be no bonus anterless firearms season for all of indiana this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts