close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Latest DNR meeting

Discussion in 'Questions about Indiana Hunting/Fishing Laws' started by jackc99, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I was at the last FWCC (Fish & Wildlife Conservation Committee) meeting on Saturday and here are some topics that were discussed:

1. New Apprentice License program is being discussed. It would allow a youth to obtain a license without a Hunters Ed card and go hunting with a mentor. If he wants to continue hunting he has to get a regular youth license which means attending the HE class. Very successful program in Ohio. Sounds very promising and also acts as a conduit to getting more kids into the HE classes especially the urban youth.

2. New administrative rule proposals include a buch of trapping rules to more clearly define sizes and types of allowable traps. Also no word on the missing cougar. No reports in over a month.

3. Wiper research project - interesting how they tagged the fish and tracked them all over Lake Monroe throughout the year. Highly recommend fishing near the dam in the spring to fall months. They appear to winter in the upper end on the lake which is a waterfowl resting area so you can't go there anyway. (P.S. They wouldn't give the radio frequencies of those tagged fish).

4. Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) - another nasty disease that is causing problems in the Great Lakes region. The appearance of VHS has affeceted transfers of fish across state borders. Indiana apprently has been spared so far because of the great efforts of our fisheries people. Wisconsin and Michigan have already seen it spread to a few inland lakes. This is really bad stuff and could decimate fishing in the midwest if unchecked.

5. Non-toxic shot - the day is coming and it is not far off when all lead shot will be banned. Begin to prepare as the first area they are looking at is the dove hunting because of the great number of shells fired and the fact that the doves are a migratory bird.

6. Preliminary data show the effects of the new youth seasons; an estimated 3-4,000 youth took 736 turkeys this spring. An equal number of fall hunters took 1200 anterless deer during the 1st youth deer season.

HatchetJack

2. Good report. Like reading about the success of the youth seasons. I for one would support the apprentice program, similar to Ohio.

3. Thanks for the info. Jack. I too would LOVE to see the apprentice program instituted.

4. Good info Jack, thanks for sharing. I agree with the others, the apprentice program sounds good.

5. I've yet to find anyone who opposes the apprentice program. I think anything we do to get more kids in the field (and into Hunters Ed) the better.

Jack

6. APPRENTICE HUNTING LICENSE & FUR TAKER PERMIT

Ohio issues an apprentice hunting license. The apprentice license was developed as part of a nation-wide effort called "Families Afield." Families Afield projects are designed to remove barrieres that prevent hunters from passing along the hunting heritage. Apprentice hunting licenses or fur taker permits allow new hunters and trappers, both adults and youth, to sample the experience of hunting under the mentorship of a licensed adult prior to completing a hunter or trapper education course.

To hunt or trap, apprentice license and permit holders must be accompanied by a licensed hunter or trapper 21 years of age or older.

Accompany means to go along with another person while staying within a distance from the person that enables uninterrupted, unaided visual and auditory communications.

Having previously held an apprentice license does not qualify the holder to purchase a regular hunting license or fur taker permit. To obtain a regular hunting license, a hunter education course must be completed successfully. To obtain a regular fur taker permit, a hunter education course and fur taker education course must be successfully completed. Apprentice licenses and trapping permits are available to both residents and non-residents, youth or adults. No one may purchase more than three apprentice hunting licenses or fur taker permits in his or her lifetime.

APPRENTICE LICENSE TYPE/COST

Residents and non-residents may purchase an Apprentice Hunting License or Fur Taker Permit without having taken a hunter or fur taker education course. Apprentice Hunting License or Fur Taker Permit holders MUST be accompanied by a licensed hunter or fur taker age 21 or older. See definition of accompany in the Legal Definitions Section.

Resident Apprentice Annual License $19.00
    Youth Apprentice Annual License
    (Residents & Non-Residents) $10.00
    Non-Resident Apprentice Annual License $125.00
    Resident and Non-Resident Apprentice Annual Fur Taker Permit $15.00
    Apprentice Youth Fur Taker Permit $8.00

7. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Thanks for the information, Jack. I figured the day was coming when lead would be out...now to find some non toxic shells for a 28 gauge.

8. Yeah, I'm going to need some too.

9. I introduced the apprentice license program yesterday to the legislative summer study group. The chairman directed that legislation be generated to create the new apprentice license and could/should be introduced in the next session of the legislature. It will allow for both youth and adults to purchase the appentice license without benefit of the Hunters Ed card. Apprentice licensees would be required to hunt with a qualified mentor. After one, two or three years applicants would then be required to attend Hunters Ed and get a regular license. I'm leaning towards 2 years.

Jack

10. Thank you for all of your efforts Jack.[​IMG] :coolgleam

11. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Thanks for your time, Jack.

12. That is great news. Thanks Jack!!!

13. Thanx Jack,.................Is it possible that they might pass this for the coming season?

14. The legislature doesn't meet until January so no.

Jack

15. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Still no hopes of bringing the lifetim license back? ........:mad: