close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leasing Hunting ground

Discussion in 'Land Sale - Buy - Lease' started by Indianahunter, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I'm looking to lease an area anywhere in Indiana during muzzleloader season only. If anyone has an interest in this or knows someone in this position please have them contact me.

Pat Allen

2. Why lease? Don't you know anyone? I mean if more people start leasing, then there will be no more private ground to hunt. I don't think that the father who hunts on his friend's land,, that used to be his friend's dad's land wants to have to pay to hunt. That is what video games are for. Hunting is not about paying. Hunt state land. There are enormous deer on our state land you just have to be very dedicated to the idea to see or take one of them.:coolgleam

3. While I value your opinion the idea of not having my tree stand stolen or to take to time to scout out a great spot on public land only to have some come and and sit down 50 yards away... My solution is private posted land that I either own, lease, or have exclusive written permission to hunt.

4. You gotta remember longbarrel, not everyone has 500 acres to hunt on like some people.

5. Agreed. Not everyone knows somebody who has a place for them to hunt, and getting permission from someone you do not know has become very tough to do over the years. Usually the people who are nice enough to give you permission, also give everyone else and their brother permission and not only do you scare deer to the next county, but it gets to be a safety issue. I dont lease land but have absolutely nothing against people who can afford to do it. I know if i had to choose from state land or leasing, id lease.

6. This also gives me an opportunity to bring my children into hunting in a safe, sane environment. I have heard to many "Saving Private Ryan" firefights on opneing day in the Hoosier National Forest or Morgan-Monroe State Forest to bring my son and daughter into and be comfortable. To assume that I've not hunted public land in my past is incorrect and to again assume I've got hundreds of acres of private land at my disposal is also incorrect. I'm like many of you who takes vacation time (away from the family) to scout, and hunt so I'd like to know my efforts will at least produce a safe stress free hunting experience.

7. There are pro's and con's to this issue, but the sad fact is, LEASING is the new wave of the future. You either need to accept it or your gonna have alot of heartburn.

There is some great deer hunting on some of our state properties, but if your looking for year round involvement, you gotta have land locked up. For those that currently have "free" exclusive permission, you should be looking out for the long term, and make your deal now, before someone else comes knocking.

8. land leasing!!

for those of you who do lease land what is the best way to find out where it is? do you run an ad in the papers or just hear from someone. and do you have signed contracts for the lease or is it a hand shake. some of these older farmers are afraid to even sign you a permission slip to show proof you have permission. any tips out there on the proper way to approach a landowner? i know for a fact it's getting harder to find private land to hunt on and leasing is the way to go in the future. and i will guarentee if you leave your deer stand on public land it will not be there when you return. sad but true.

9. I have always used the newspaper and a paid advetisement, I identified the county then found the newspaper that had the largest circulation in the area.

I would use the Sports section and purchase at least a 4x6 ad in that area. My ad would read.....................

Tired of hunting public land.......... will respect your property and rules, willing to work or pay for hunting privledge. Belong to these National and State organizations................... Call collect evenings to discuss 317 XXX XXXX.

The call collect was always most important as the landowner did not have anything "invested" in talking to me.

The last ad was in Owen county and resulted in over 3000 acres that I continue to have permission on. and we never looked at that much or more we were contacted about. ALL for $95.00

Large BOLD adds not in the want ad section.........

Pay for the ad not wasting gas driving around to knocking doors and getting a .......... NO!!! Go visit folks who want to talk with you!

10. lease !!

thanks guys !!

when you do find property to lease or pay do you get a contract made up? any pointers on that?

11. Drop me a line. I have a deer problem up here.

12. the only way i would hunt public land is bowhunting. gunhunting.............forget, it i'll stay home 1st. i've tried it in the past and it's not worth the trouble and it's unsafe. you'll scout out an area and opening day there will be 10 to 20 orange vest within a short distance of you that'll shoot at anything that moves. no thanks. if you can afford it there's nothing wrong with leasing a nice farm to feel safe. i would never leave a stand on public ground. you might as well sit it out with a sign that says FREE TO TAKE.

13. The Lease Agreement
    The lease agreement should be viewed as a partnership for long-term management of wildlife resources. The landowners' long-term interest may best be served by a lower lease fee that will accommodate lessee longevity and the welfare of the wildlife resource. Consult with state wildlife biologists for current lease fees in your locality.

The lease agreement protects the rights of both the landowner and the hunters and should detail:
    • property boundaries
    • duration of the lease
    • lease fee
    • animal species which can be hunted
    • hunting rights retained by the landowner and family
    • game harvest limits or species
    • number of club members and guests
    • provisions for cancellation by either party.
    Most hunting clubs are interested in a long-term arrangement that guarantees them a place to hunt. Leases are usually renewed annually and should contain provisions giving the hunting club rights of first refusal if the lessor wishes to change lease conditions, especially the lease fee.

The lease agreement should also identify prohibited activities, such as:
    • camping
    • fishing
    • firewood cutting
    • building of stands
    • wet-weather road use.
    A properly prepared lease agreement will prevent most conflicts between landowners and hunters. When entering into a legal binding agreement, an attorney should be consulted.

The sport of hunting is becomming more & more Complicated each year!

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006