Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice haul, haven't been out in a few years, but have been thinking about it recently. I officiate basketball in the winter and right now half the games are being postponed. Been doing a little extra hunting, but need to get out and active, otherwise I will just sit in the house eating my way through winter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear that. I do it because I enjoy it and it extends my season outdoors. It’s my chance to get away! Lol and it’s a challenge to “get it right” and keep tweaking things until I do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing but a few dog proofs around the barn in the ground this week. Pulled out of the river latter than I wanted on Sunday. Didn’t have time with work this week to get another line in down the road. But sundays the day. Gonna start a new line in a ditch then. Have another property lined up to start setting next week. Just waiting on the deer hunter to finish before I can get in there. Really hoping things pick up. I’m not a numbers guy, but a few here or there of anything but grinners would be very welcome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Getting ready to set out my first trail cam, not only hoping for deer pics, but the last 2 years I have had a pair of foxes, coyotes, a bobcat, and huge mink, all walk under my stand.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got another short line in last Sunday. Three good **** today. No shorties! Better than that is no possum. Lol setting a ditch and wood edge Saturday. Maybe a few more rats and a mink? Good part is the critters aren’t coming so fast it’s a struggle to keep up. Lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't trap but from what I seen from the stand I need to. lol what they even pay for **** these days?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been a tough couple days, got robbed last night at three sets, gotta Che k for frozen in the morning. My wax dirt may not be working. So much moisture in the ground right now. One set got worked over by a pair of coyotes. Gonna throw in another set there tomorrow, try and double them up! Re bait with beaver fat, that is getting the most attention.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not enough to make it worth the trouble. But I enjoy it, so it's not so much about money, at least for me.
Agreed. Reffing HS basketball has been sporadic at best, 2/3 of my games to date have been postponed. If it continues, going to call some farmers and get some sets out. Doesn't look like we will have ice anytime soon for fishing. Gotta do something or the winters get long.

·
Administrator
3,965 Posts
Season starting a little slow for me. All except grinners, those are not in short supply. Had a good check this morning. Wondering how others are doing?
So cool, thanks for the update.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another day of freezing rain here. Can’t keep any of my dirt hole or flat sets going. On a good note, I did figure out it’s not my waxed dirt, it’s just the frozen slush and water on top of the ground. Had two sets with coyote(I assume) prints squarely on the pan, dirt holes dug out, no sprung trap. I dig around a bit with my trowel and popped of a 1/2” frozen cap. Dirt under perfectly dry. Hope to get everything fixed tomorrow. season will be over at this point before I get everything working. Haven’t had a catch in a week! Lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another decent **** and two rats in the ditch trap line. Getting a few coyote sets in tomorrow. Hope the weather stays decent!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well finally back at it with deer season over. Last week was first full week. 4 ***** and 4 grinners. Those were first 2 days. Has been slow since. I hit them hard last year 43 ***** in my woods and around my chicken houses. Hopefully that means I put a dent in them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn’t count on that! Lol I’ve been hitting the same three areas hard for three years, last year I did the best. This year has been off, but I’m not going so hard and the weather has been crap! There is no one trapping or running dogs anywhere around me, so they just filter right back on over the summer and fall. Especially the grinners, I’ve gotten more of them this year than before

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh I have seen a few tracks in the small stream that runs through the woods. 574 I had this trouble last year I ck my DP traps and the bait inside will be gone, marshmellows or cat food. Is that tree rats taking it? Seems like a long way down for them to reach. I got some caps for the tops of them this year and just put them on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well finally back at it with deer season over. Last week was first full week. 4 ***** and 4 grinners. Those were first 2 days. Has been slow since. I hit them hard last year 43 ***** in my woods and around my chicken houses. Hopefully that means I put a dent in them.
That qualifies as a herd of *****.
After all these years, I had never heard "grinner", had to look that one up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn’t count on that! Lol I’ve been hitting the same three areas hard for three years, last year I did the best. This year has been off, but I’m not going so hard and the weather has been crap! There is no one trapping or running dogs anywhere around me, so they just filter right back on over the summer and fall. Especially the grinners, I’ve gotten more of them this year than before

1 - 20 of 37 Posts