Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’ve had problems with mice. I got the caps and it stopped. I splash a little fishy bait juice around them. Seems to work. I also started mixing sheep’s wool with bacon grease mixed in under the triggers. Has worked great so far!

·
Registered
218 Posts
THey must not like the caps. Nothing last night. All my marshmallows around the outside were gone but that could of been anything. I put a have a heart trap out where I have been seeing tracks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This time of year, I use something “fishy” in the bait. Seems to carry farther. I’ve also seen a down turn in the dp catches. But I’ve taken 6 this week in a creek with pocket sets. I know I’m not lighting up the trapping world but it’s enough to keep me busy! Putting in some k9 sets tomorrow. Weather looks like it’s gonna cooperate!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put some Vienna sausages in the bottom of a few yesterday. Also got a container of **** bait when I orders some traps from Flemming Traps. After seeing it and smelling it I will make my own next summer with crawfish, fish scrap , and some deer guts I saved.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I honestly haven’t found any commercial trap bait that works better than anything I can make. Sweet smelling hasn’t done much for me. My dry do bait is sweet feed, cheap cat food, and mini marshmallows oh, and some dried molasses. I sometimes use a marshmallow under the trigger but the sheep’s wool with bacon grease seems to more a little better. Hoosier trapper supply’s predator bait top dog, works well in a dirt hole, I suppose it would work as a topping in a dp as well. Anything to get their attention!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Finally got another male last night. I have put traps by all my Beach tree and that is where I caught him. They love to use them as dens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good idea. This time of year boars are way more interested in the girls than the food.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was always told it’s the end of January. So should be getting started. I know most of my pocket and trail sets on the ditches near me have tapered way off. I’m going to move some sets to known den trees this weekend.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts