close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Logging Effects?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by treehugger, Jun 25, 2006.

1. The primary ground I hunt for Whitetails is going to be logged out and the process will begin within the next few weeks. What effects does logging have on deer habitat, activity, hunting success? The landowner wants them in and out by firearms season if at all possible. My concern is with all the activity and woods disruption will the deer migrate to a lesser disturbed area or will they continue to hang around the food sources and other habitat features that currently hold them there? The area is farmed so the deer are somewhat used to human activity and farm machinery, however not to the degree that a logging operation will bring in. I have heard different things about the effects of logging such as over the long term it assists in making the deer habitat/hunting better. Has anyone had any experiences with logging taking place in your deer hunting areas?

2. Tree,

My father-in-law did this to his place in Norther Wabash county, several years ago. As promised they (pike lumber co.) were in and out within 2 months. I ask the guys who were doing the logging to keep an eye out near the end of the workday to see if there were any deer in the woods. I already knew that the north side held a bachelor group most of the summer, and the south east corner (where I hunted) was where they all converged in October. The guy said at first nearly every day during the cutting they would spook 3 or 4 deer out when they started up. Then near the end as they had grown accustomed to the racket and noise they would see several groups of deer within a stones throw of their machinery...(they liked licking the sap draining from the cut logs which were piled up...)

End of story, the logging made some nice shooting lanes and didn't adversely affect the population, or their feeding / bedding habits.

Unless they are planning on clear-cutting your woods you should be ok, you might want to put a camera out after the cut to see how / if the runs have changed...

3. With a name like treehugger, I thought you'd already know this. Will you be protesting this activity?

I wouldn't worry about it too much Randy. I'll almost guarantee you that the deer will become accustomed to the activity. And, if the crew is in and out by gun season (just in time for the Rut) they'll still use the woods. What it may affect is runways and trails that they normally use. It may create different funnels, etc.

Logging in general is thought of as a bad thing by some deer hunters, and yes it might cause some changes initially. However, withing 2-3 years logging will create a whitetail mecca in the logged woods because of all the new growth (food/and new bedding thickets) it will eventually produce. It may be an eyesore at first but the benefits for deer will outway in the long run.

4. We saw this two years ago and the reaped the benefits this past season. The logging didnt do anything to move the deer out of the woods. They got used to it after a while and in the end they were staying in the general vacinity. The following year we hunted the logged area of the woods and there were more deer in there than i remember ever being there. THey loved to eat the green leaves of the fresh growth that the extra sunlight helped sustain and when it got cold they loved bedding in the fallen tree tops. So when the gun season rolls around I would leave that area as a sanctuary the first couple of days then slip in there and get one when they move in to bed up in those tops and stuff. Youll be happily surprised with the effects of logging. Granted your woods will look like a tornado hit it, but it will work its way through it and end up providing you with some excellent hunting.

5. Thanks for the info guys...sounds like it will be beneficial in the long term.

6. with machinery deer dont seem to mind,ive about ran over a doe that didnt move once ,laying bedded near on the edge of a woodland path,the same woods i have my shooting range where i was sighting in a scope ,about the 8th shot and my target disappeared as 3 does walked slowly past it not caring about the noise. Taking out some trees in mature woods will just help on new 'feed' for deer.Just would be nice for you if they was done logging a week or two before season.As for the deer ,they DO need to be afraid of tractors,as ive been angered to hear how a farmer shot one as he was plowing/planting/harvesting.

7. We did a selective logging (approx. 1 tree per acre) two years ago. They finished right before bow season opener. I didn't notice any decrease in deer activity. If any thing the downed tree tops added cover and food source for the deer. I saw a great deal of deer simply pop out of the downed treetops, they are really attrached to them. Definetly easier to get in and out of the woods with the newly created logging roads.

8. i really don't think it bothers turkeys either.

9. Randy,

Personally, I have yet to see a case where logging has effected your hunting in the fall. I can only envy what you will start to experience the next 5-10 years after this area begins to grow briars and everything else. "The Boss" might not be the only big one to come out of that particular area!!

10. Why would Bruce Springsteen be out in Randy's woods; cutover or otherwise???

'At a boy, Scotty, atta Boy!!!!!!

11. :bash:

12. Four years ago, my nephew used a bobcat to make trails through the woods we hunt, we cut and moved a fair amount of trees. Once or twice through the season, he runs a drag box over the trails to remove leaves and debris. One of the guys that used to hunt with us was so ticked off, he left for good, said we ruined the hunting there...he couldn't have been more wrong. The trails cut make movement for the deer easier, they use those trails like highways.
    We plan, as life and time permit, to make some more trails, open up another section to our hunting. I really don't think the deer are bothered much by it.

13. I like what I'm hearing from all of you on the logging effects...keep the good news coming.

14. Everyone thinks that deer are a "forest" species, but they're not. They're more of a brushy/creekbottom species. They've evolved that way over the millenia. You can't have a woods that's too thick. I'll also guarantee you that that logged over woods will be a bedding area...especially in late season. Once the snow flies, watch them congregate to the "blowdowns",etc.

Logging, controlled burns, food plots, etc. are all tremendous ways to make your area a better deer area. All that timber being removed will open up the forest canopy and allow sunlight to penetrate, causing new growth that will serve as "tree"mendous (sorry, Randal) bedding and feeding area. Dr. Kroll even suggests to people to do soil samples in the woods and actually broadcast fertilizer in the woods itself. Sounds weird doing a soil sample in the woods, but really think about it a minute. Do you think that soil is perfect when it's just been sitting there all those years. You might be surprised...it could be very acidic. Even liming could be very beneficial to the plants in the woods themselves. There are many species of plants that deer seek and utilize in the woods. In farm country, I think a lot of people assume that deer eat nothing but crops. Not necessarily so...........

Another thing to remember for next spring. Just because you have waste crops like corn and beans still in fields, doesn't mean you shouldn't have foodplots available. There is a period between March-late April when a foodplot of clover/chicory (that is established from the previous year(s)) can be a tremendous jump start for antler growth and milk production. While corn and bean seeds take time to germinate, an established foodplot will green up in only a few days of sun and heat. And guess who'll be there hammering the goodies...?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  15. Tree I wouldn't get to excited, down in West Virgina they log all the time just like everything else the deer get use to it. If you would like I could come down during deer season and hunt ( I mean check it out) ouch. I think you will be just fine.