close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Logging

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by rackstalker, Jan 20, 2006.

1. I was thinking about having some of my property logged this year and wanted to knowif anyone had some pointers on this subject. The property at hand is in southern Indiana in Madison. Its very hilly with flat ridge tops. What do i look for in a logger? How does it work? Any Ideas would help?? Thanks guys------Rackstalker

2. I can only speak from what I know from the landowner that I deer hunt on. In 2004 they had a logger come in and survey the trees to be cut. They made the decision to go with this logger. The logger marked the trees in 2004. The logger has yet to cut one tree. They have 2 years from the agreement date to come in and start logging. The logger paid them upfront something like $40,000. Sometime this year the logging will begin. Probably during my prime deer hunting time :yikes: Anyway the logger will be responsible for putting in the logging roads and everything associated with the process. Should be plenty of big brush piles after its all over with so more deer habitat. That's about all I know about it.

3. buddy of mine had it done he will never do it again deer hunting has and wont be the same they all the old trees left the place a mess and still fighting with them :banghead3 (i would ask where they are working and have been up to 4 years ago and go look for your self and talk to that land owner befor taking a dime ) jmo

4. Some good advice for anyone contemplating logging an area is to consult a forester. These private individuals come in and decide what trees should be taken and marks the log and stump area. The forester then advertises for you and holds a sealed bid process. The forester then takes the highest bid and waits for the logger to cut. After the cut the forester goes in and makes sure the logger did not take anything he wasn't suppose to. After you receive your check for the timber you send the forester his cut which is usually between 7-10%. Before the bid process a majority of them also survey the property lines to ensure accuracy. The good thing about this is they know exactly what the timber is worth and the more you make the more they make.

5. I agree 100% with dnrlawman. Hire a consulting forester. They usually pay their 10% by bigger sale prices and the experience they have dealing with loggers. We have timber buyers call all the time and offer some price for trees we well know are worth twice what they offer.