close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

low turkey harvest in ky..........

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by BREWERSVILLE OUTFITTERS, May 8, 2007.

1. Here's the data

Year----Total Harvests
    2001----23197
    2002----28292
    2003----27550
    2004----26405
    2005----25797
    2006----28797
    2007----22929

Data from KDFWR website

What do you think caused the low total harvest this year. Early season cold temps, snow, rain and wind? I guess we can look at it on a positive note: there should be a ton of 2 year olds in Spring '08!!!!

If you notice the jump from 2001 to 2002, maybe there is hope for 2008!
    Just wondering if this trend will be nationwide:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

2. 2005 had a lot of rain in the nesting season.
    but thats olny part of it not sure why i seen more turkey last year then this year.

3. Pretty simple, IMO. The number of 2 year olds is down. 2 year olds are the most vocal bunch and easiest to call in. The bad hatch of 2005 is the cause. Not just Indiana and Kentucky. Looking around on other hunting boards, I'm reading the same thing across a lot of the country.

Next year should rock.:coolgleam

4. I HEARD AS MANY GOBBLES AS I HAVE IN THE PAST, THEY JUST DID NOT SEEM TO BE AS INTRESTED AND AGRESSIVE TO THE CALLS AS IN YEARS PAST. WHEN INDIANA`S FIGURES ARE IN, I THINK THEY WILL SHOW A DECLINE ALSO. I`M SO FUSTRATED, I DO NOT KNOW IF I WILL GO OUT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND.

5. Most likely had something to do with the low numbers of two year old birds. I did notice the same thing this season...(olders birds...smarter birds).

6. They are out there...you just have to know where to hunt them. (ring a bell?) :cwm27:

7. It was rough with very few responding to any kind of call. Kentucky well that was just weird to say the least. Every turkey we saw was within 200 yards of a road or highway. Really weird if you ask me.

8. I talked to one of the check-in managers in Parke County. Last year he reported 65 birds and thinks by Sunday he will have close to 50. Most birds are bigger and probably older than in the past. Large numbers of 3-4 year old birds and a lack of 2 year olds. However next year looks pretty good as I am seeing a lot of jakes but just haven't dropped the hammer on one...yet.

HatchetJack