close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Luminok

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by JL, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Has anyone tried one of these or seen them in flight? My buddy just got one and shot a few arrows for me. One word: AWESOME! I'm gonna have to get me one of those!

2. James.........they are cool for awhile..........but what we found is they are not durable. They tend to short out pretty quick. Some may have had a better experience with them than we did..........but they are just not durable...........sometimes we even had some you just could not turn off either.

Very nice while working though.

3. my 02 cents

They look incredibly cool but are heavier and will affect arrow flight. plus at 10 bucks a pop a little rich for my blood.

4. I don't know, they only add fifteen grains to the weight of your arrow, and as long as your arrow weight remains 10% forward of center, I can't see it affecting arrow flight in an adverse way.

5. I've got a buddy that bought 6 of them last winter. He shot them in the indoor leagues at Carl's place. I shoot with him, so I saw every shot for 12 weeks. He never had one fail. They are pretty cool to watch fly in the dark Techno Hunt rooms. What I liked is it gave me something to aim at on the 3-D course.:evil:

I made some of my own last winter. They are not very tough to make. Wal-mart sells a small fishing bobber light that you can use on the inside of a nock. A little research on the internet and some modifications to a previous design and I was able to come up with my own light up nock. Turns on at the shot just like a Lumanock.

I used one when I shot my bear last May. Pretty cool watching that light contrast against the black fur. Sure made it easy to see the arrow sticking in the moss after the pass through too.:biggrin:

I can't wait to use them during deer season this year.

6. Dec

Id like to see how that works. Send me a pm if you dont mind on how to put one together. Also post a picture of you and your bear. Where did you go for your hunt?

7. I`VE SEEN THEM USED ON THE TV SHOWS AND LIKE WHAT I HAVE SEEN. IF I RUN ACROSS THEM IN A STORE I WILL LIKELY PURCHASE A PACK.

8. For those wanting to build their own, go to Archery Talk and run a search for homemade lighted nocks. There is a very detailed description on how to do it. There was a guy who figured out how to turn them on and on at the shot. I just kind of modified their process after I struggled a little getting one to be reliable. I'll warn you, if you are out to save money, you may be better off just to buy the real thing. But if you like to tinker and get more enjoyment out of doing something for yourself, then building them is a lot of fun and rewarding.

In a nut shell, go to Wal-mart in the fishing section and buy the Thill bobber replacement light. It costs around $2.50 or so each. Then get a translucent nock and a second nock of about any type. You need to take the translucent nock and drill it out just slightly larger than the battery body on the light. I think it is around 5/32 or so. Then you need to counter bore deeper into the nock to match the head size of the light. I think that is around 5/64. Once you insert the light into the nock, the best way to hold it into place is to get a sewing needle and a butane torch. Heat the needle up red hot and then pierce the nock and go into the red collar around the light. Once that is done, the light should turn on when you depress the nock. But there is still the problem of getting it to turn on once in the arrow. So this can be done one of two ways. Take the other nock and cut the shank off of it and throw the nock part away. Bore the shank out to match the diameter of the battery and then super glue the shank onto the battery. This will make a tight fit when you slide it into the arrow. Push it all the way in and the light should come one. Now just pull it out slightly and the light will go out. Shoot your bow and the light will come on. The other way to secure the battery in the arrow is by using a couple layers of electrical shrink wrap on the battery. This is kind of what Lumenock does. You have to play with it to get it to work, but when you find the right combo it works well too.

Here is a link to the battery.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=BAO45TDO2E5YKCWQNWTCCOIK0BW0CIWE?id=0011798115124a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0310598&cm_ite=0011798115124a&_requestid=15160

Here are pictures of the bear. While it is not lit, in the first picture you can see the first arrow in my quiver has a different nock. That is one of my home made light up nocks. It worked perfect and still works great.

As far as where I shot the bear, it was in northern Saskatchewan in May of this year. Kind of a self guided deal, the only way I like to hunt. Basically since you have to use a guide in Canada, we paid an old retired guide to sit in camp and leave us alone. Win win all around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  9. I would, but really, to cover my time involved, you'd be better off paying the money for the real thing. My buddy ordered his from Lumanock direct and I think he paid $25 for three shipped. That's only $8.33 each. If you look at the material costs to make one, it is only $3 - $3.50, but there is certainly more than $5 in labor involved. Then you have to consider the one or two out of a batch that don't seem to work right (sometimes you just get a bum one).

I've got 5 or 6 good working ones at home. The first few I made ended up in the trash can.

Like I said, it is a project for those who get more of a reward out doing something yourself and enjoy tinkering. I'm kind of a geek that way.:coco:

I'll dig one out tonight at home and post a picture of it.

10. How big was your bear? Squared that is. He looks like a good one. We are going in september with a bunch of traditional guys. Should be a blast. We have friends in Canada that run a bear operation and he is giving us a great deal and shutting down his camp for ten days so we can have the run of the place. I hope to get a good one. We will see though. How much did you pay for your bear hunt?

11. I have no idea what he squared. I never measured him. We were so far north of any human existence I don't think there was a tape measure within 100 miles. The "guide" said he'd go about 250#, so that means he probably weighed more like 150.:tongue: All I know was he was the coolest thing I've ever killed. He's at the taxidermist right now.

As far as the cost of my trip, it would make you sick to know how little I paid. Gas, tags, food, the entire works ended up just a hair over $850. Yep less than $900. Once in a lifetime opportunity. To summarize, one of my buddies is was going to buy a legit outfitting business up there, because the outfitter has a DUI and can not go to Canada anymore. So we went up under that outfitter license. In the group of 10, 5 had been many times before, so they knew people up there. They knew this old retired guy who still had a guide license, so we paid him a few bucks and feed him to make us legal. We had access to 330,000 acres of the most remote country you cold ever imagine. 1900 miles up and 1900 miles back. 38 hours of driving each way. No cabin to stay in, no fancy meals, no phones, no gas stations, no emergency services. This was literally a life and death area, not for the faint at heart. We pulled up a 16 foot trailer that slept 7 and had a deep freezer, two ATV's, and every piece of live out in the wilderness equipment you could imagine. I camped out in my Suburban the entire trip. It was an awesome experience. We were a 2 1/2 hour drive from the closest gas station and land phone. We were a 5 hour drive from cell phone service or any medical facility. The last 120 miles of roads were not paved or gravel. They were dirt, or in our case slimy mud from all the rain.

Got to Google Earth and type in N55d39.376' W109d30.937' and you can see where our base camp was set up. It is way far from anything.

I would not have done it any differently. That is my kind of hunting trip. Hardcore!:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  12. lighted nocks

I have used them the two turkey seasons (spring) and last deer season. They work great...you are able to tell right where your arrows hits. Makes finding the arrow after the hit (or miss) easy too. I tell everyone to use one, at least for your first shot. I really couldn't tell any affect on the arrow flight either. You all should get a least one.

13. This company used to sell kits to build light up nocks pretty much built the way I described. Now I see you can't buy the kits anymore, only complete units.

If you go to this website you can see what the finished product looks like. They use the Thill light in theirs.

http://archersflame.com/index.html

14. Archer's Flame..

Hey Fellas..

I have been using the Archer's Flame nocks for the last three years and I think they are BETTER than any other illuminated nock on the market.

Joe Decarlo and his son came up with this unique lighted nock and they are SUPER GREAT!! Very bright and I never had to make ANY adjustments on my sight and I firmly believe they are alot more sturdy than ANY other nock.

I have shot completely through deer and easily located the arrow in the ground or underneath leafs on the ground. I have even located the deer when the arrow did not penetrate completely.

When we were tracking one of the bucks I shot last year, the arrow was protruding and we walked directly to where the deer was laying simpy be seeing the nock glowing in the dark. It resembled a automobile brake light..

Give them a try. You will be pleasantly surpised.

Bud Fields:bowdown: