close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mineral Stations

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by anon782010, Jun 18, 2007.

Do you manage a mineral station?

1. No, I manage none.

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Yes, I manage one.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Yes, more than one.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. As a follow up to the wondeful discussion that was the food plot poll, how many of you run mineral stations? If so, what products do you use?

2. I have 5 Mineral areas, Around me there is plenty of corn, beans, wheat, clover, alfalfa so I put out minerals. I have in each area a Trophy Rock, in some I have Kelp Meal and loose minerals and in others I have Kelp Meal, Yeast and Hi-Phos Dical for antler grown. Most of this is out year round. Bucks need more and more protein and energy due to rut, chasing does and then they get run down and loose a lot of weight in late winter and early spring. This year is a good example why you should have something out for them, due to the dry spring there is not much goodies in the plants.

3. I have a plain ole mineral block out the window so I can watch the deer and I put a trail cam over it some times just for kicks.

4. I maintain 4, and determined that number based on Charles Alzheimers book "Quality Deer Management". I use trophy rock. I talked to my county CO about placement so I would be breaking no laws. I usually let them run out in September thru December, but I do not go to the trouble of removing the surrounding soil. That is why I checked with my CO. Plan to put trail cams around them in a month or so to get an idea of the population.

5. I use a feed supplement from Big R. It has almost the same ingedients as Hunters Specialties VitaRack 26 or whatever they call it. 50# bag for under $8....more than enough for 4 sites. Be sure and put them in an area that contains moist soil.

6. We have 4 sights that we keep going from Jan. till about Aug. That is time that the deer hit them the hardest anyway. We put out fine stock salt mixed with mineral supplement for goats... works very well.

7. I don't raise any domestic animals.

8. sweet, cynicism...i was thinking we would never get any...:coco:

9. I currently have two sites. One is a mineral block, and the other is a mineral from Antler King that I purchased last week. When purchasing mineral products for deer look for products that have a 1:1, or 2:1 ratio of calcium to phoshphorous. Ratios any higher than 2:1 will result in wasted phosphorus uptake in the stomach. In the ratios mentioned above, absorption of phosphorus is maximized. Remember, deer aren't cows, so don't put out salt blocks. While salt will attract them, it's not necessary. Also, look for products with low sodium levels.

Research has shown that regions deficient of phosphorus have shown lower productivity and smaller antler growth.

10. what is a low sodium level dean? 50%? 25%?

11. ...lower if you can find it. Many of the mineral mixes on the market utilize salt as a filler. Deer really don't need much salt at all.It has very little to do with antler growth and overall physiological health. There is absolutely no need for salt blocks when it comes to deer.

I can't stress it enough, whitetails are NOT cows. While both are cloven hoofed ruminants, that is where the similarities end.

12. Are molasses and sugar fillers like that better than salt?

13. You say they're not Cows, Dew says the big ones aren't Deer.....anyone else lost here? Will there be math? :dizzy:

14. Hey Dean, if I were to use only one, would you suggest a no till clover or high protein rack builder over a mineral block or are they similar? I hunt in heavily wooded areas where I don't have fields near by so I was thinking a mineral block would be better in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007