close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Ok, here we go. Been trying to catch minnows--read the DNR fishing regulations...the only prohibitive reg I can find is no game fish. Is that all I need to know---catch a game fish minnow..throw it back...keep the rest?

Thanks, Cary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2005
  2. Cary-
    There are specifications regarding the method of take for minnows, such as size of seine or cast net, and mesh size. Assume you have a handle on that. Also assuming you are just catching them for your own use (not for sale), and not going to have more than 500 at a time. These factors trigger other regulations.

In general, you may not possess any fish from an endangered or threatened species. Also, size limits apply; if it's a bass fingerling, then it's undersize bass=illegal to possess, etc. Bag limits also apply for species that have them, so you will need to know what you have, and make sure that you are in compliance. These things mean that you are going to want to pitch back the game fish fingerlings/minnows as a practical matter.

Good question, had to look that one up.
    HB

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Thanks for the quick reply....You gave me (and others) some good information.

Now, if I can only catch them.

4. Never did try to catch minnows. We used to seine mud holes, ditches, and drainage culverts for crawdads, though. Used a seine net with pvc ends so you could adjust the width to suit.

Good Luck!
    HB

5. I have always used minnow traps. One person job, and I have collected up to 8 dozen minnows in one trap. I use dried dog food placed in a piece of cut up pantyhose. I often get a few crawdads in them too.

You can buy minnow traps for around $6.00 to $8.00.