close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minor With Handgun

Discussion in 'Questions about Indiana Hunting/Fishing Laws' started by BRICH60, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I`VE GOT A QUESTION- IS IT LEGAL FOR MY SON, AGE 15, TO CARRY A HANDGUN ON HIS PERSON WHILE ON OUR PROPERTY.

THE GUN IS A .22 SINGLE SHOT TARGET PISTOL, AND HE ONLY CARRIES IT WHEN WITH ME WHILE WE WORK OUR PROPERTY. INITIALLY I DID NOT THINK WRONG ABOUT THIS, AND FEEL CONFIDENT IN HIS ABILITIES WITH THE GUN, BUT, RECENTLY I GOT TO THINKING THAT MAYBE IT IS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO CARRY THE PISTOL. ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW THE ANSWER?

2. You better check will the DNR, I think you have to be either 18 or 21 before you can carry a handgun. This is just what I think don't know for sure.

3. Handgun

I think it is legal for him to carry a handgun on YOUR property. I would suggest speaking with a CO on this one. I am as curious as you are now.

4. IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession. (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 3-7-13-5 or IC 33-28-4-8, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155

5. I`M NOT AN ATTORNEY, BUT MY INTERPETATION OF THE ABOVE INDICATES TO ME THAT HE IS OK, AS LONG AS HE IS ON OUR PROPERTY. IF ANYBODY READS IT DIFFERENTLY, LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

6. Thats the way it looks to me. I wondered the same thing about my son when he target shot a 22 pistol on our place. I guess as under the age to be licensed he be covered as a home or property carrier. (He's not been convicted of domestic battery or I'd have to whoop on him)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. Yeah Google but then YOU could be convicted of Domestic battery.LOL On your property you can do within reason anything you like.