Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever held one of these? Is there enough who want to try?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
That sounds like fun!

Let Me know when and where!

Sparky

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
the season is right around the corner. i will be stomping through the salamonie forrest in another month. just let me know when and where.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How to set it up

Ok how do we do this. Should I 'give a shout out' to the other forums on this site to drum up interest? And how do we set up a time and place. Notice I said we. Howbout I mention it in another forum and we see what falls out. Wish me luck, I'm goin in. Will report back in a few. If I don't show up and you send a posse looking for me, for Chris sake don't send mushroom hunters. They walk too slow and they never look up.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
I don't know Charlie, I have found more mushrooms walking behind some folks, than when going in alone...:coolgleam

We'll keep an Eye out for ya...

Sparky

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Sounds like a great idea- I'll come - but if you all are real mushroom hunters nobody will fess up to a good spot:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i mainly hunt private ground. i bet the landowners would love to see 20 guys tromping over their property. i do hunt salamone...geez it took me 5 years to find out where they grow...are you taking us to your "hotspots", charlie. we need some rules and guidelines here. i suggest we hunt state ground where no one on this site has been to before. i am in, just not taking anyone to my spots...nothing personal, just mushroom hunting etiquette...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have thought about this (a little). What if we hunt a big state area. Atleast at the end of the hunt we will all know if there are morels in that area, which can never hurt. No I don't think anyone will b giving up there private spots, but I wouldn't mind watching a couple experience hunters go after em. Educational. Soooo let's start er up and see. Who's got a suggestion for where to hunt?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
sounds good to me charlie. not really familiar with your part of the state, so i will stick with mine...salamonie is massive,but i really dont like the timber not enough elm or ash for my liking. huntington is really the same way. so i dont suggest either one of those. i never have hunted tri-county or chain-o-lakes but people i know find them there, so i really dont know what to suggest. but i guess another question would be is who is coming(head count) and where are they coming from? might narrow down how big of woods and try to centrally locate a location. when? is another question. the later in the year the farther north we will have to go ...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i can find 'em with ya or without ya...not much interest here chapstick...count me out...maybe me and you can have a private hunt? i will meet you half-way to hobart brickie country......

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Rico, we'll just let it ride. There night be some good chatter in here though, so we'll see. Later.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I'm up. i have good luck around Mongo. A lot of land and MUSHROOMS.the best spots are off limits though. a couple of my friends went in the goose perserve and found 15 over a foot long. but that is a restricted area.

·
Registered
246 Posts
mushrooms

A good place is in chain o lakes state park on the trail area south of dock lake. Many Many different years elms dead and pealing in the whole area. I am not sure of the pressure it recieves though. I do know of a few guys who hunt it and fill sacks every year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts