close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mornings/ Evenings Hunts

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by coonslayer21, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Which times do ya'll prefer to hunt? Personally i have had better luck at hunting during the evenings than in the mornings.

2. Nothing is as good as the early morning hunts. In the woods or on the water, its ALL GOOD!!!!!!

3. For some dang on reason i can't bag a deer in the morning, may be it is where i set up at.

4. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I have yet to kill a buck in the evening, and believe me, i have killed a few!

5. I usually see more deer in the evenings but have probably killed more bucks in the morning than evening, although the past 2 years I have killed bucks in the late afternoon/evening timeframe. Most of my doe kills have been during evening hunts.

6. For me it depends on which property im hunting. One is a much better morning spot. Just seen a huge 8 pointer there yesterday morning. The other place i hunt is a much better evening spot. Deer are there in the mornings but its nearly impossible to get to stand without spooking everyone of them off.

7. I think during the rut, the mornings have always seemed better for me. Of the bucks I have taken, seven have been taken in the morning, and eight have been taken in the evening.

8. Things can happen real fast real early sometimes. Sometimes you just have to be patient in the morning. Deer started moving at 10 a.m. this past weekend.

9. It really doesn't matter to me. Over my 42 years of deer hunting, I have taken numerous deer during morning hunts and I have also taken deer during afternoon/evening hunts. I would estimate MOST of my larger bucks have been taken between 11:00AM and 2:00PM.

I try to hunt as often as I possibly can and unless the weather is very threatening... I AM OUT THERE. In my opinion... the BEST time to hunt is ANYTIME YOU CAN!!

Most of my hunting buddies claim they enjoy more success on afternoon/evening hunts because they can see better entering the woods during the daylight hours and that helps them approach their stands with less noise..

I have taken 4 deer this season and 3 of them have been taken before 7:00AM (Indiana time) I have seen probably just as many deer during the afternoon/evening hunts but have had LESS shooting opportunities.

GOOD HUNTING..
    Bud

10. My favorite time to be in the woods is the morning...everything just waking up... perfect. As far as hunting, depends on where and what I'm hunting. I tend to spend more time in the tree if I go in the morning. Afternoon hunts I seem to think not muck is going to happen till late in the afternoon...just a mental thing. I used to stay in the tree all day...I don't have the patience I used to and the back won't take that anymore.

11. either

I have killed a lot of deer in both the morning and the evening. However I would much rather shoot one in the morning. It makes for a much easier recovery and exit when you can see what is going on. Plus you generally don't have to race the coyotes to find your deer.

12. this time of year you cant go wrong with a morning set up between bedding and feeding. The does are usually the last to come out of the fields at night and where there are does there are bucks this time of year. Early in the year bucks leave the does and the field well before daylight and are bedded down before you even think of getting in the stand. Or at least they are on their way there. At night they get up before dark and start working to the fields, they will sit in the cover of the field edges till it gets dark using the wind and the other deer as a danger barometer. Once dark they head out into the field. So early season i say hunt the evenings on travel corridors to the feeding area. this time of year its best to hunt the mornings if you can pick. However now that the bucks are chasing, you really cant go wrong either way and its good to be in the stand anytime you can get there.

13. MORNINGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR ME, THERE IS NOTHING MORE ENJOYABLE THAN GETTING IN YOUR STAND EARLY AND WATCHING THE WOODS COME ALIVE. I ALSO PREFER SHOOTING SOMETHING IN THE MORNING BECAUSE IF THERE IS TRACKING, FIELD DRESSING AND LOADING INVOLVED, IT IS MUCH EASIER WITHOUT CONTENDING WITH DARKNESS.

14. OH well to me I hunt when I can which is any time of the day. Right now I don't have a job. OH I forgot I do have a job the place where I work is call WOODS and Fields and it's a great job. Hope to do it the rest of my life. I have killed deers in the morning, evening and the middle of the afternoon. A good time to hunt is when you can and as often as you can. It also has to do with the moon when I hunt.

15. In years past, I was seeing more deer in the morning. This year, it is the opposite. I am seeing more deer in the evening. I have a couple of bucks that you could set a watch to that come through in the evening (a small 8, inside the ears, and a six point). Every evening they come through about sunset and mill around for 15-20 minutes before heading out to the field to feed.