close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motion stakes

Discussion in 'Indiana Waterfowl Hunting' started by shootsa410, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Did you see this thread? This guy has tried several approaches with the real motion kits.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=513918

Have you seen the new motion bases for them? Look kind of suspect, but there is a guy on the refuge I'm hoping will put up some better photos. Supposedly, the ring base folds up against the body somehow. Not sure. I want to see them first hand.

Here are the original photos. About 1/2 way down through the thread.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=506603&highlight=bigfoot+motion

We've talked about converting some of our big feet, but it seemed easier just to add an entirely new look to the decoys. Besides, one of my buddies is kind of lazy and did not like the idea of removing bases or feet. So, I bit the bullet and bought the GHG dekes.

2. My buddy and I use them with the Avery Shells and we like them alot. They add a little motion to your spread which is always a good thing. We have never tried them with fullbodies, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work. Anything you can do to help pull them honkers in is worth a try. If you do it, let us know how it works. Too bad we only have to wait 7 more months to find out.

Anybody been on any snow goose hunting trips or know of anyone who has? We are headed out in two weeks. Can't wait.

Rauch

3. I dont see why it wouldn't work Art. As long as you find the right place on the deke so it stands up right and isn't leaning all out of wack.

4. I have a friend hunting snows in missouri. I think they killed 80 yesterday.

5. I looked at the photos and don't care for doing the bases. I guess I want more with less and hope the stakes will do what I'm looking for. I ordered some and I'll make this a summer project for installing and seeing how they work. I looked at the underside of the BF decoys last evening and I should be able to cut a hole using a drill used to cut holes in doors for door knobs big enough for the cone. If they don't work I'll still be able to attach the feet and just have a hole in the bottom of the decoy. I'm just wondering if the stake will be strong enough to support the weight of the decoy with a good wind. I'll let you know the results.

6. Art, click on this link. There are photos of a B.F. snow converted and they can still use the original legs. 3.5" hole saw. Getting your hand up in there for the installation might be a problem using a door set sized hole saw.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=448759&highlight=convert+motion+system

What you won't get with the motion kit is the ring base. You will get stakes instead. Stakes are easier to carry, but a pain in frozen or summer baked ground. I think you can contact Avery and purchase the ring bases direct. All of the new stakes and ring bases have a glow in the dark top to make them easy to see setting up in the early morning hours.

Looks like it will work to me. You still may have to extend the rods like in those earlier links to keep the feeder bills off the ground.

I can tell you that I like the motion that those GHG lessers that I bought have with this system. It looks cool, which we both know is way more important than what the geese think.:chillin:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  7. I'm going to try to cut as small a hole as possible, just big enough to get the cone in. I think I can hold the cone to get the screw in and tightened with a long needle nose pliers. If I can get them to work like I want I guess I can always use them on my shells.