Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following 37 years away from the Hoosier state, looking to be a Reverse "Florida Snowbird". Living summer months in Florida and Squirrel, Deer, Rabbit Season(s) in Indiana. Past 10 years been deer hunting during Thanksgiving break on relatives farm in Knox county. Within the year, will be taking on the title of Retired School Teacher and High School Basketball Coach and heading back to Indiana.

Please assist in locating an area for me to call home. Looking to live within 90 minutes of Bloomington preferably all directions except for north of Bloomington. As a retired school teacher unable to purchase 30 plus acres along with a home on it, but would like to purchase 3-8 acres with a small house on it and prime public hunting land not too far away.

Where would you recommend and why.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in the chapter of my life.

Former Hoosier

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jackson, Lawrence, Orange, Martin, Daviess, and maaybe Greene. With you saying "90 min of Btown" that's all the way to the Ohio river. I live in Lawrence and work in Monroe, although as soon as its quitting time I escape the Midwest's liberal stronghold as quick as possible. 4 years ago we sought out land and home to raise our family, and like you weren't exactly made of money. Brown county fetishes high prices like Monroe and the further north you go the same can be said and you're getting further from good public hunting land. My opinion is the public land around Orange is less pressured than all of the land that is just south of Lake Monroe. Greene co is getting bought up pretty quick and getting pricey.
I do work in the residential construction service industry here in southern Indiana like I mentioned "new construction and remodel". Hard to give you everything on here but if you'd like feel free to reach out in a private message and I can give you my number if you want filled in anymore. 5 min phone call is much quicker for me than typing out everything I know while still trying to sound halfway educated on a Monday morning.
Welcome back

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jackson, Lawrence, Orange, Martin, Daviess, and maaybe Greene. With you saying "90 min of Btown" that's all the way to the Ohio river. I live in Lawrence and work in Monroe, although as soon as its quitting time I escape the Midwest's liberal stronghold as quick as possible. 4 years ago we sought out land and home to raise our family, and like you weren't exactly made of money. Brown county fetishes high prices like Monroe and the further north you go the same can be said and you're getting further from good public hunting land. My opinion is the public land around Orange is less pressured than all of the land that is just south of Lake Monroe. Greene co is getting bought up pretty quick and getting pricey.
I do work in the residential construction service industry here in southern Indiana like I mentioned "new construction and remodel". Hard to give you everything on here but if you'd like feel free to reach out in a private message and I can give you my number if you want filled in anymore. 5 min phone call is much quicker for me than typing out everything I know while still trying to sound halfway educated on a Monday morning.
Welcome back
Plus one on this☝

·
Registered
29 Posts
For prime public deer hunting you’ll have to look a bit farther west, anywhere just over the Illinois state line. For prime public turkey hunting anywhere in Indiana is fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts