close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by ccavacini, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

The thing I remember most about wild mushrooms is when my dog was a pup, she would eat them, and about two hours later would throw them up....not close enough time between eating and puking for her to make the connection.

I was outside every morning trying to get rid of them. Thankfully, she either lost interest or made the connection.

2. I always thought a person ought to be able to train a dog to sniff them out but I've never heard of one.

3. Trained dog.

I trained my Cocker Spaniel to find them. I swear it took only two minutes. I let her sniff at some Morels and told her to go find some more. Find is a command she is already very familiar with. I wasn't expecting her to get the hang of it so quickly, but within a minute she was barking to let me know she had found some. Result!

Cockers have an, even for a canine, amazing sense of smell and are quite an intelligent dog. She enjoys it and to her it's a game, Cockers do love to play! I can get her to find any mushroom that I can find. That's the only problem, I have to have one to show her before she will find more.

4. I'll have to try with my jack russel - she has a super nose. good to have you with us.