close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

muzzel loader load and Rut questions

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by mikeh, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Hi guys… this is my first post…

I am new to Indiana hunting. Live now in the Linton area, (SW Indiana about 45 miles SE of Tara Haute)

Being from the west I am accustom to still hunting mule dear in the New Mexico high plains with a 7MM rim mag. With average shot at much longer ranges than most Hoosiers would be comfortable with… No tree stands there home on the range….. ;) learning lots of new things… still trying to get the nurve to actualy climb a tree and hang a tree stand.... seeing lots of flags while trying to use old teck of still hunting...

I have three questions…. I hope you can help me with/:help:

1) New to muzzle loaders… I have a traditions 209 T-bolt inline…. Sighted it in at zero at 75 yards using 2 50 grain pirodex pellets. Seems to shoot great. Low recoil, about like a 20 gage… and I am impressed with its accuracy.

The question is… using Shock wave sabots…. The specs say I can use 3 parodex pellets safely, (150 grains) and that I would get better ballistics and range….load = (250 grain spire point shockwave 209 primer, 150 grains of pirodex) what deer I have seen so far (no safe good shot yet) have been at 50 yards or less… ) so I don’t think I will need a long range load but as the stooge said… Couldn’t hurt…:rolleyes:

do you old time smoke pole hunters think this is safe? How will it affect current sighting. Would I have to re-sight the rifle…. And is it true I could reasonably shoot out to 200 yards like the info claims…. With this mag load, or am I better off sticking with 2 pellets… (100 grains)

2) Is the Rut in process around the Dugger-Sullivan forest, when does it normally start and end.:confused:

3) If you had to choose your hunting spot near me…. Would you hunt Dugger-Sullivan forest or mini Haha land, or is there a better spot in my area…. Where would you head?

I hope to fill my first Indiana buck tag this week!:bowdown:

2. I killed a deer last week with my muzzleloader at 230 yards, dropped it dead. I shoot 150 grain triple 7 pellets with a shockwave 300 gr. sabot. I have a T/C Encore 50 cal. A good muzzleloader setup is better than anything around here for a distance shot on deer. I have never hunted where you are so I have no opinion on that, I hope I helped a bit.....oh, if you change from 100 grain of powder to 150, go to the range and check your groups. I shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
    Hickorynut

3. Hey MikeH,

I have a Knight disc extreme and I shoot 150 grains of the triple seven powder pellets and a 240 grain Knight sabot. I don't have any complaints, and have taken several deer over 100 yards. My idea on using more powder is if it is something that could possibly be an advantage to you (i.e. shooting farther and having a little more power behind your bullet) why not use the extra 50 grains. You never know when you might be presented with that long range shot. Also, I would recommend making sure your gun is still on if you do decide to increase your powder load. Never can be to sure. As for your area, don't know much about it.

Good luck hunting and be safe.
    Rauch

4. Welcome to Indiana,

I shoot a pretty light load compared to some people. 95 grains of pyrodex RS with a 240 grain XTP. This load shoots very accurately from my gun and I have taken several deer with it out to 100yrds. Of course where I hunt I have no need to shoot beyond 100yrds. I would say find out what shoots best in your gun.

5. Good luck!

6. I'll welcome you to Indiana also.

I would like to offer my 2 cents on a couple topics.

1) I site my gun in according to the area I will be hunting. If I am going to be watching open fields where I could take a long shot, I'll site it in for 100 yards. On the other hand, if I know I'm going to be hunting in the woods, or watching a bedding area or similar spot where it is short range shooting (50 yards or less), I sight my gun in for zero at 50 yards, but may take a shot or two at 100 yards just to see where it hits.

2) You do not have to hunt from a tree stand. I have yet to hunt from a tree stand, and am 52 years young. In fact, I enjoy the time I spend in early fall scouting for sign and building my ground blind. However, over the last 4 years I have a portable deer blind I use, and it has been fantastic, and serves as an ice shanty during ice fishing. I just use large 60d spikes to nail it to the ice. A coleman lantern heats it up very well.

3) I don't know the area where you hunt. If it was me, I would make several trips to the areas and get to know the terrain and locate deer runs, food areas, and bedding grounds. Once you get to know the area and learn the deer's actvity areas, you should be able to select a couple of ideal locations to setup on.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    -Dan- ;)