close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muzzleloader Powders.........

Discussion in 'Reloading, Target Shooting, and Modern Firearms' started by Main Beam, Oct 10, 2006.

1. I am currently shooting Triple7 FFF out of my NEF Sidekick. After one shot I look down the barrel and notice that where the powder charge sits there is heavy build up. I am happy with my accuracy at 100 yards but would like to get a cleaner barrel after the shot. I have heard this is called the "crud ring". It cleans up easily with water but I don't like the fact that when I re-load this build up is still there. Any body else have this problem?

Also has body shoot Goex Pinnacle? I cannot find this stuff anywhere!

Have heard mixed opinions on Pioneer powder. The whole square pellet thing really makes me wonder about this company???:coco:

2. powders

I shoot plain Pyrodex Pellets. I love them and they seem to be fairly clean burning. I have heard Pioneer is the ticket if you want clean burning powder but I have also heard that what you strive for in cleanliness can also cost you velocity. I guess im not sure as I have never tried them, but the square pellet thing isnt that big of an issue. When you stuff your bullet on top of them and seat them down the square pellets will fall apart and leave you with a good charge with no air pockets. Give it a try whats the worst that can happen you are out 20 bucks on powder and have half a bottle left? Try them out.

3. Compressable?

TRADITIONAL, ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE AMERICAN PIONEER POWDER SQUARES ARE COMPRESSABLE IN THE BARREL? PERCIEVED AIR POCKETS ARE THE PRIMARY REASON WHY I HAVE NOT CONSIDERED USING THAT BRAND OF PROPELLANT.

4. Highly recommend American Pioneer Powder

I have been using American Pioneer Powder Pellets and absolutely love them. By far the cleanest burning powder out there, and if you want even cleaner use with Remmington CleanBore primers.

No more of an air gap than a 777, as how they fall down the barrel free off interference. The only gap you don't want is between pellets and/or sabot.

5. Rowdy

Rowdy

I use 100 gr. of 777 pellets in my T/C Encore, shoots fairly clean. And with the speed breech you clean it quickly when target shooting.

6. I use Pyrodex pellets now but think I'm going to switch over to the American Pioneer brand powder pellets. I'm all for a cleaner burn and if they're good enough for Jim Shockey they're good enough for me.

7. American Pioneer FFG Powder - minimal cleaning as advertised

8. I shoot IMR 4227, but am switching to either Accurate Arms 5744 or IMR 4759. :biggrin:

9. be carefull on shockeys powder

make sure you get all the poder in the cap. we experienced a problem with this over the weekend. too much trouble now shooting pellets

10. I tried Shockeys gold in my New Omega and after two shots had to almost pound the Shockwave down the barrel. When cleaning after I had the damned mess I have ever seen. Back to 777 for me.

11. Pyrodex seems to be really reliable. It's a muzzleloader, clean it.

12. Yep, I've had great luck with it and love the cleaner barrel. I don't get hung up on the shape of the pellets.

13. BLACK POWDER is the way to go! the other stuff does have its cleaning problems,if, you shoot a lot,gumming up the rifling grooves.

14. Main Beam- I shoot the same set up as you do. I know exactly what you're talking about. My accuracy is good.... don't think I'll change much. What bullets do you shoot?

15. I switched to a 240 gr Hornaday XTP sabot instead of 295 gr Powerbelts. Still using 777 FFF powder (125 gr). This set up leaves a cleaner barrel. From what I have read Powerbelts are not the greatest bullets to be shoot out of an inline.