close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My bow kill bear ... got the rug back!

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by DEC, Apr 10, 2007.

1. I just returned from the taxidermist with a new addition for my basement walls.:coolgleam This is the black bear I shot with my bow last May in Saskatchewan on a pretty much self guided hunt. The boar weighed between 225 & 250 and was estimated to be 5 to 6 years old. The rug is just a fuzz under 6' nose to tail.

The taxidermist said he very very rarely gets one in with the thick lush fur that mine had and said it was one of the best specimens he'd ever gotten in as far as fur quality goes. I can't wait to get it home on the wall.

If anyone up north here needs an awesome taxidermist, I encourage you to call Keith Goodrow. He's done a deer, a javelina, and now my bear for me and all are 1st class mounts.:coolgleam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Derek you are officially the man!!!

That pelt looks like you could just about sleep on it!!

Good work

Are you planning on going back after another one??

3. Some day. I want a full body mount bad. I almost had this one done in a full body mount, but the pelt was so nice that the guys I was with talked me into a rug. Glad they did.

I'll chase bears again, but right now I've got other critters I want to go after next.:biggrin:

I'm not "the man", just a guy that likes to kill stuff with a sharp stick.:biggrin:

Here is a field photo that many have seen before.

[​IMG]

4. Looks good! Does the taxidermist use a steamroller to get it that flat?:rolleyes:

5. Looks like the bear had an itch under its chin. That is nice of you to take care of it for him! ;)

6. Looks real nice DEC.............congrats on the bear.

7. CONGRATULATIONS, THATS A VERY NICE LOOKING RUG. I`M GLAD TO KNOW YOUR BEAR HUNT WENT BETTER THAN MINE DID. I STILL GET STEAMED WHEN I THINK ABOUT HOW MY OUTFITTER TREATED US. I LIKE YOUR IDEA OF DOING IT YOURSELF.

8. Yep, gotta love it DEC. Great job...and great lookin' bear buddy. I have some bear steaks in my freezer, but have never tried it before. Any suggestions on how to prepare it, or if I should marinade it?

9. Sweet rug Derek...let me know when you want to chase them again...I might have to join you!

10. easy stallion...:16suspect

if anybody is inviting themselves to tag along on his next hunt its me!! :evil:

what would fuzzy say about you going to canada with another man? :evilsmile

11. The steaks are awesome if cooked right. What I've done before is no marinating, take a small sauce pan, mix 3 tbs butter, 3 tbs brown sugar, & 3 tbs soy sauce. Melt it all together, get your grill good and hot, throw the steak on the grill and brush on the mixture. Seer one side, then flip them and brush on more. Keep brushing on the mixture. Turn the heat down a little and let them cook. This mixture is my favorite for venison steaks too. BUT! do not cook bear like venison. While we like venison pink in the middle, you have to get bear cooked through to a minimum of 165 deg. F in the middle. Bears, especially those that live near humans, can carry parasites and you have to cook them thoroughly. I was told that bears from remote areas like mine are safe if under cooked, but I'm not going to take any chances.

I made burgers one night out of ground up bear, very good.

Bear meat is a very heavy meat. You eat a 1/4 or 1/3 pound bear burger and you'll know it. It will sit like a rock! Wife will love you about an hour later ... trust me ... [​IMG]

Bear ... it's what's for supper ... [​IMG]

12. Freaking awesome...color me jealous...