Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this helps anyone out who struggles during deer hunting who's looking for that big buck, I'll give you some tips that work for me every single year. Don't get me wrong, I love deer meat but I also love big racks.
1# I don't play the wind and I don't let the wind determine where I'm going to hunt. If you're a smoker you'll know this is true - when smoking inside the wood's, the smoke is blowing in all directions. If you're hunting in a stand or on the ground, that buck will come in up-wind, down-wind and from the side of you, no matter which way the wind is blowing.
2# My success rate went up 100% hunting the corner of a corn or bean field 20 yards inside of the woods. You'll be surprise how many bucks are coming and going into the corner of the corn field walking right pass you or even walking the edge of the field.
3# I don't and won't shoot a doe until I bag my big buck. That doe could be the one that draws that big buck in when she goes in heat - seen it happen many times.

4# I don't use store bought cover-up scent, deer lures or scent-a-ways. I use what deer smell 24/7 - I get my camo wet and let them sit in a hot vehicle with the windows up, until their full of mildew and had fresh dirt, deer scats right before heading out. Deer don't smell me as being human, they smell me as being part of the wood's (natures) and just another deer who crapped in the wood's and they'll let their guards down.
5# I head out about 20 minutes before shooting hours, so by the time I reach my spot, shooting hours just begun. I'll start seeing bucks and does within the first 15 to 30 minutes. Most hunter don't realize that deer will freeze up during this time while the rods in their eyes transition over to their cones for the up coming lite. I walked pass more deer in the fields, buck and does - they may snort or blow at you but never run and if they do, it's never more than a few yards. Chances are they'll even come in to investigate. Evenings are the same way if you leave about 20 minutes before shooting hours are over with - I like leaving 30 minutes before and catching them in the fields!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If this helps anyone out who struggles during deer hunting who's looking for that big buck, I'll give you some tips that work for me every single year. Don't get me wrong, I love deer meat but I also love big racks.
1# I don't play the wind and I don't let the wind determine where I'm going to hunt. If you're a smoker you'll know this is true - when smoking inside the wood's, the smoke is blowing in all directions. If you're hunting in a stand or on the ground, that buck will come in up-wind, down-wind and from the side of you, no matter which way the wind is blowing.
2# My success rate went up 100% hunting the corner of a corn or bean field 20 yards inside of the woods. You'll be surprise how many bucks are coming and going into the corner of the corn field walking right pass you or even walking the edge of the field.
3# I don't and won't shoot a doe until I bag my big buck. That doe could be the one that draws that big buck in when she goes in heat - seen it happen many times.

4# I don't use store bought cover-up scent, deer lures or scent-a-ways. I use what deer smell 24/7 - I get my camo wet and let them sit in a hot vehicle with the windows up, until their full of mildew and had fresh dirt, deer scats right before heading out. Deer don't smell me as being human, they smell me as being part of the wood's (natures) and just another deer who crapped in the wood's and they'll let their guards down.
5# I head out about 20 minutes before shooting hours, so by the time I reach my spot, shooting hours just begun. I'll start seeing bucks and does within the first 15 to 30 minutes. Most hunter don't realize that deer will freeze up during this time while the rods in their eyes transition over to their cones for the up coming lite. I walked pass more deer in the fields, buck and does - they may snort or blow at you but never run and if they do, it's never more than a few yards. Chances are they'll even come in to investigate. Evenings are the same way if you leave about 20 minutes before shooting hours are over with - I like leaving 30 minutes before and catching them in the fields!
All good advice, I normally don't worry about the wind too much, I figure if one walks in from down wind I just have to take my chances. I may try the home style scent cover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts