close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need advice on arrows

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Noftheriver, Aug 29, 2006.

1. New guy here, about time to get the ole bow out and starter up.

I am gonna change shafts this year.
    My second year out Indian-style.
    I am a avid muzzleloaderfan so this archery stuff is new to me.
    I do like the thrill of the hunt!

I am shooting a PSE Whitetail Extreme with Easton 2413, 100 grain broadhead.

I hunt the Swizterland County area just north of Madison In.
    Splinter Ridge FWA.

Alway tag out here come blackball season but these bucks have been hard to get in on with a bow.
    The guys I went out with last year all shot these composite arrows and they are telling me I should also.

You all sound like good hunters, I am all ears.
    Some swear by Muzzys ,some swear at em.

I'm alisten

2. Go with a good carbon arrow like carbon express, and get a good set of expandable broadheads. If you don't like expandables then muzzy's are the way to go. I just switched from aluminums to carbon and if was the best idea ever...not really but i can def. see improvement.

3. The guy advising this is telling me I will have to learn to shoot,he said they will shoot different than a aliminum.
    True?
    False?

4. all arrows fly straight if tuned properly.. you will probably need to adjust your sights i started with aluminum and went to carbon best thing to happen

i use pse radial weave arrow and 85 grain montec fixed blade have tried gold tips and they are good too i would not recommend a mechanical that the blades have to open back had bad luck myself i do like the blades that push back then expand but i'm dead set on fixed blade for carbon arrows

5. There are good carbon arrows on the market and there are junk carbon arrows on the market. I recommend Gold Tip or beman. Spend the extra dough and get a good set of shafts. Your friends are kind of right. Im guessing by indian style you are talking about instinctive. No sights just concentrating on what you want to hit and shooting. If thats the case then yes your arrows are going to fly a bit differently. But they will still fly straight. They are going to fly flatter meaning until you get the hang of it they are going to all seem like they are shooting high to you. It will take a few rounds in the yard to make the adjustment. By switching to carbon you gain speed and strength and durability, but you will lack in the accuracy department for a few days until you get the hang of it. I think youll be fine to switch but aluminums are good too. Its really up to you.

6. I use sights, what I mean by Indian style is the bow itself.:)

I checked out those pendulem sights but the guy at the Bow shop advised against them.He said the distance was inaccurate.
    What do you guys use?

What about fletching?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  7. Gold tip shafts are excellent. 100 grain Muzzys and Montec G5 tips have been good to me. The NAP Quick Spins are great vanes...you can actually see them catch and spin the arrows. Some will tell you that the quick spin vanes aren't any better than "traditional" vanes...I see it with my own eyes so I'm convinced.

8. Keep hearing about them muzzys,I may try em.
    There is a good Bow shop in louisville I will let them fletch em. I just gotta figure out what vane I want.
    How many FPS can you get with a carbon?
    You hunt out by Hwy 27 there aint much loose land around you guys up there.
    Maybe out towards Cedar creek?

You hunt a lease?
    The leases around here are all tied up and the Perry county has more hunters than deer.

9. Arrow speed is determined more by the bow that is spittin' them out.

10. Welcome to the site, Noftheriver. As far as carbon vs. aluminum, I just made the switch from XX78 SuperSlam 2413 to Easton ST Axis 340 arrows (9.53 gpi). I have had faster arrow flight and don't have to worry about bending a stubborn arrow when drawing it back out of a target. I would just make sure to shoot 6 grains per pound of draw weight, and make sure your arrow weight is at least 10% forward of center. Personally, I like the new Muzzy Phanom broadheads I just bought, but I haven't shot any deer with them yet. Solid construction for a cut-to-tip broadhead. Satellite Titans and Rocky Mtn. Ultras have worked well for me in the past. Good luck.

11. As soon as I set that post I thought of that but....then how can a carbon fly faster. arrow density? mass? what is the equasion?

Thank you Mr Lyon been here since March of 2005 just watched and learned.
    Figured I would start posting when I saw more traffic and knew more of what I was talking about.Your equate gives me something to work with.
    I will try some math now.
    My PSE is a 70lb draw.

12. With a 70 lb. draw, you should be shooting a 420 grain arrow minimum (this number includes the weight of your broadhead), but I'm sure you already figured out that math. When one talks about speed or weight or density or mass, the only thing you need to know is your bow/arrow's kinetic energy output. Your kinetic energy is figured like this: velocity multiplied by itself, multiplied by arrow weight in grains, divided by 450,240. The resulting number is the foot lbs. of kinetic energy your bow/arrow is putting out. Once your KE gets up around 70+, you're doing very well. Some guys will recommend you shoot only five grains per pound of arrow weight, but I ruined the limbs on my old PSE doing this...I wouldn't chance it, shoot 6.

13. How do I find output?

14. Here was my old setup: The arrow grain weight was 480, and the velocity was 279 fps. Take the velocity times itself. In my case, it was 279 fps X 279 fps = 77,841. Take this number times the arrow weight in grains. 77,841 X 480 = 37,363,680. Now divide this number by 450,240 (this number is a constant). 37,363,680 / 450,240 = 82.99 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy (that bow really slammed 'em in there)!

15. How did you find velocity.
    The math is basic but I have no velocity to base off.
    I figured you were a teacher.
    Cool, teach on man.