close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new deer regulations

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by oldbuckkiller, Jul 14, 2006.

1. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

Hey guy here somthing to think about. Brad Herndon wrote in whitetail news that he had hunted in indiana for 25yrs. before he seen a spike on private land now he see's them all the time that shows him deer are overpopulated and he went on to say that we should harvest more does. He states that in iowa farmers and a few guys he knows there can and have harvest up to 56 does or more on there propety and that states like ours should do the same and that we as hunters should get the laws changed. On top of that he said in the article that we should have a points system for does harveted for one buck state to havest a second buck. Each hunter should get 10 pts. per doe harveted until they reach 50 pts. then take the second buck i think the second buck should be at least an eight point buck. well let me know what you think of this i think it's not a bad idea.It's something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2006
  2. Rowdy

Rowdy

I think we should just go for three points and kick you between the uprights.

3. right on lets just kill them all and take a break for OOOO say 15 or 20 years

4. I believe you shouldn't.

5. Not seeing as many does as in the early 90's. Not hearing as many farmers complain. Leave it like it is now!

6. I live and hunt in DeKalb Co. in Zone 1. Still plenty of deer in this entire Zone. I'll kill as many does as I can. This is one of the best ways to drive the size of the average buck up. It's multi-pronged...

1) Less does drives up the competition to breed; which in turn will cause the mature bucks to become more active in the breeding. The Big Boys pass on their big genes more.

2) Less mouths to feed means each individual will be more healthy and will be bigger, etc. Remember, just because this is the corn belt doesn't mean deer eat so well here year 'round.

3) Balancing the buck:doe ratio has so many benefits....of which here are a few.

Rut more visible, hunting becomes better, mature bucks more active during Rut, buck movement increases, fawns born when they're supposed to be, healthier deer overall, etc., etc.

If anyone is scared to shoot "too many" does don't fret...and don't forget. Whitetails are prolific breeders. Does' reproductive systems are geared to totally resaturate their ranges in as little as a few years. Technically, and most biologists will tell you this, it's better to shoot too many does than not enough. There are more deer out there than you think there are. The best time to really see how many deer you have running around your area is in the winter time. Let 'em rip....