close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new guy from renesslaer

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by roofman73, Oct 9, 2005.

1. hello everyone,
    31 father of 3,grew up in tn,moved around alot and have settled in this area now.I'm kinda familiar with the slough and jp.I've been out camping at a place called horseshoe bend north on san pierre.on the kankakee.
    would like to get to know more about indiana and the area I live in.I don't relly do much hunting,I'm more of a observer.had a bad eye injury years ago and have just now gotten to be a decent shot again.but I still love the outdoors.fishing and hiking aare some of my favorite things to do.although my experience with both is limited.
    hope to shoot the chit and learn more about indiana.

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Lot of Pheasant out by you. Welcome to the site.

3. thanks for the welcome.pheasant you say?never been pheasant hunting.goodbird though I know i've had it.

4. I had cousins that grew up near Wheatfield. We use to track pheasants in the snow there. Did our own dog work:)

5. might have to go bird hunting this winter.

6. Steve

Steve Admin Mod

Welcome to the site.

7. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Hey roofman73,
    What brought ya to Rensselaer. I grew up in that area but moved down to indianapolis a few years ago for work. I am building a house down here in westfield as we speak. You said ya dont hunt much but i will tell you the hunting is as good as it gets there in jasper county. I hunt there every weekend , there are some very big deer killed in that area. I killed a 16 point buck just a few miles from town last year that scored 171" gross. My dad actually lives just north of town and we go fishing on the iroqouis river. There is some awesome fishing if you can get around all the snags but you can spend all day on the river and never see another person. If you are looking for pheasants you need to head over to newton county around Brook. They are very heavy over there if you can get in to a spot. Well have a great day if ya have any questions about the area just ask i spent my whole life there and have fished evry pond in the county.
    SEABEE

8. i live off 231 inbetween demotte and rensselaer.don't really know of any good places to fish.are there any public places or friendly folks I could contact?

9. seabee

Are you close to 200n and 231? The aix church ?

10. i'm on 400n.I stop at the sign everyday taking my girl to school.

are you from around here?I've fished the hodge alot(ditch on 700 by kankakee)
    I've caught a little of everything out of there just don't keep them.kids love it with all the bluegill.
    the past few times we've went out there has been some undesireables out there.I'm no saint but I believe folks should watch there mouths around little girls.mine are 5 and 4 they don't need to hear alot of what folks say.
    I'd like to find some more places to go,so we have options when people are out there.

11. seabee

My dad lives on 200n his property buts up to one of those huge sand and gravel pits. Are you familliear with where those are. I dont live there anymore but i come up there all the time to hunt and fish. I was just up there this last weekend and got some deer hunting in.

12. i've ridden my dirt bike out that away,stopped and asked some folks about fishing there and they said no.
    I'm not much of a hunter nowadays,but fishing I can do.come up this away and want to get some line wet let me know.

13. seabee

will do roofman, you very well could have stopped by my dads house as his is one that has the pond in his back yard. Stick around, if i get up there next spring i will look ya up. I know all the farmers that have the lands around those ponds!

14. i'm right behind fishers.the house with the big old 4x4 in the driveway.
    thanks look forward to it.