close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New IN. Resident, Question on Regs?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by mgompf, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Hello all,
    I am a new Indiana resident and I am a little confused about something in the hunting Regs. I thought you guys would be able to help. The regs list this under the archery license ...

Type of License Limit​
    Archery License - One deer per license for a total of: 2 antlerless deer
    OR
    1 antlered deer and
    1 antlerless deer

Does this mean I need 2 archery licenses to take a buck and a doe or is 1 good for both?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, I guess i am not used to the wording that the IN DNR uses.​
    I moved here from Ohio, there you needed your hunting License and Deer tags one for a buck and one for a doe.​
    Also do you have to use the Archery License befor you can use the bonus anterless tags?​

2. license

Archery licence gives you a limit of 1 antlered and 1 non or 2 nons

oldrookie

3. AN ARCHERY LICENSE HAS TO BE PURCHASED FOR EACH DEER KILLED. REMEMBER, YOUARE ONLY ALLOWED ONE BUCK PER SEASON, WITH ALL WEAPONS. IF YOU KILL ONE WITH YOUR BOW, YOU CANNOT SHOOT ANOTHER WITH YOUR SHOTGUN OR MUZZLELOADER LATER IN THE SEASON.

4. Welcome to the wonderful world of Indiana hunting and the not so wonderful world of Indiana's licensing system.

Indiana is a one buck only state. You have to understand this because if you read the season bag limits it seems to confuse some people.

That being said, in Indiana you get to buy two archery tags. Yes you have to buy one license for each deer. Your archery licenses may be used for either a buck and an antlerless or two antlerless. You may also buy bonus antlerless tags. You can use bonus tags whenever you choose, before your archery tags, after, or even in between them.

IF you shoot a buck with an archery tag, then you can not buy a firearms license, since that is buck only. You may however use bonus tags for an antlerless deer during gun season using gun, bow, or muzzleloader.

IF you have shot a buck with either a bow or a gun prior to muzzleloader season, then you may only use a muzzleloader tag on an antlerless deer. You still can use bonus tags during muzzleloader season as well.

I hope this clears up the tag confusion. Basically, you will find that if you are a multiple season hunter, you need to use good tag management to utilize your buck tag at the time the buck you want presents an opportunity.

Good luck and be safe!

5. If you are a muti-season hunter, buy an archery tag and a bonus tag. If you see the buck you want in archery you can take it with the archery tag. You can use the bonus tag in archery or firearms for the anterless. If you buy 2 archery tags and don't have the opportunity with bow then when firearms season rolls around you will have to buy 2 tags again, 1 for buck and 1 for bonus. CONFUSED YET? I AM EVERY YEAR.

6. Thanks guys.
    I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything right.
    I think they need to find someone new to write the hunting guide its like reading lawyer speak!