close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New indiana rabbit @ squirrel season

Discussion in 'Indiana Small Game Hunting' started by DBurris, Jan 31, 2007.

1. bring up wildbulletin@lists.in.gov. in short rabbit re opens from feb 7 2007 to feb 15 2007 bonus time for bunny wackers . squirrel will not have shorter season in the north and bunnys can now be hunted into febuary see dnr site for exact regs

2. New Indiana rabbit and squirrel hunting seasons
    ---------------------------------------------------

New Indiana rabbit and squirrel hunting seasons will become law on Feb. 7, 2007.

On Feb. 7, Indiana will have one simplified statewide squirrel season, running from Aug. 15 to Jan. 31. The squirrel season in northern Indiana has been stretched about a month -- until Jan. 31, in order to provide additional hunting opportunities.

New rule changes will also extend the Indiana rabbit season to Feb. 15, except at state fish & wildlife areas and reservoirs. Each year, the new rabbit season will run from the first Friday of November after Nov. 3, through Feb. 15 of the following year.

Because of the timing of the new rules taking effect, rabbit season will end this winter on Jan. 31, but will again be legal from Feb. 7 through Feb. 15.

Rabbit season at state fish and wildlife areas (with the exception of Goose Pond FWA) and reservoir properties, will still run from Oct. 1 to Jan. 31.

"Extending squirrel and rabbit seasons later into winter will give Hoosier hunters more hunting opportunities without hurting Indiana's general rabbit or squirrel populations," said DNR wildlife chief Wayne Bivans.

The Indiana Natural Resources Commission took public comments on these rule change proposals and held a public hearing last year on these new rabbit and squirrel hunting seasons. The NRC gave the rule changes final approval last November, and they become law on Feb. 7 of this year, along with a few other rule changes. The rule language can be found under "2006 Wildlife Administrative Rule Changes"at:
    www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/

------------------
    Media contact,
    Linnea Petercheff,
    317-233-6527

3. Not a big rabbit and squirrel hunter, but the longer seasons is cool. Makes it worth going late season rabbit hunting, if you can bag tree rats too.

4. My beagles got excited after hearing this news.......

5. thanks for the info...bet the rabbits had wished you kept it to yourself:evil:

6. Just called my grandpa to let him know...he said he had two dogs on two different rabbits so i better make my call quick...haha

7. Great change! In January after squirrel went out with no ice - I kept thinking - Man I wish I could go squirrel hunting! :)

8. just think 57...somewhere right now...OBK is dancing a jig...

9. Now that is funny!

Come on OBK, even you have to laugh at that one.:biggrin:

10. Could you possibly "hurt Indiana's general squirrel population"?:coco:

11. What gets me that they are saying they are not as many rabbits like they were and now they open season again. Don't make a lot of sense to me.

12. so we going bunny huntin the 7th marsh??