close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Proposed Legislation

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by ICOKnoy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. The following bills have been introduced for this session just FYI. Keep in mind these bills have a long road ahead before becoming legislation.
    These are just a few of many proposed bills this session all can be accessed at www.in.gov under the bill watch link.

Senate Bill 0261

Makes it a Class B Misdemeanor to hunt in a manner that results in a bullet, arrow, or another projectile passing within 200 yards of an inhabited residence without their permission. Also makes hunting/fishing without consent a Class B Misdemeanor(Instead of a Class C Misdemeanor)

Senate Bill 0263

Requires the director to establish a hunting season in which certain authentic or reproductions of rifles manufactured between 1860 and 1899 may be used.

House Bill 1039

Makes permanent a provision authorizing the issuance of lifetime hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses.

House Bill 1066

Provides that a person who, between Oct. 1 and Jan. 15, shines a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of locating a wild animal commits a Class C Infraction. Requires the court to revoke a person's hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses for 2 years if person commits a second violation of statute.

House Bill 1091

Allows a resident who serves on active duty in the Armed Forces outside the United States during a certain period to purchase a lifetime hunting, fishing, or trapping license.

Again, this is not all of the proposed bills and is only a summarization of the proposed legislation. These bills can be read as they are written on the state website listed above.

2. If house bill 1066 did pass legistlation, then how could a person hunt racoons or predator call at night without the use of a light?

3. My guess is if Bill 1039 was passed the cost of Lifetime License would be outrageous. Most likely priced to be of no benefit to the older hunter, but possibly still a good deal for the young whipper snappers out there...which I would be all for! Looking forward to seeing how these proposals play out. Thanks for the info dnrlawman...keep us posted.

treehugger

4. 1066

1066 is geared toward poachers, I understand that, but what about us folks that just enjoy shining for deer for recreational/scouting reasons?? If it went into affect, I would abide by it, but I do enjoy shining deer. What do you guys think??

5. House Bill 1066

I do not see a problem with shining for the purposes of observation or searching for a wounded or put down animal. I would like to see the following verbage added to this proposal.

... or other artificial light while in possession of a firearm in or on a motorized vehicle or on their person...

Even with this included language it still does not allow for use of a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for tracking purposes.

Tilesetter: I have the same question as you. If house bill 1066 did pass legistlation, then how could a person hunt racoons or predator call at night without the use of a light?

After further review, House Bill 1066 leaves many important questions unanswered!!!

treehugger

6. Looks ok To me only afects Oct. to Jan only. Might keep people from spotlighting right before they go hunting.Like at 2 to 4am then go to woods at 5 to 6am. You might know where the Deer are at.NO FAIR CHASE THERE.Some people do any and everything to kill BIG BUCKS.

7. Senate Bill 0261

Makes it a Class B Misdemeanor to hunt in a manner that results in a bullet, arrow, or another projectile passing within 200 yards of an inhabited residence without their permission. Also makes hunting/fishing without consent a Class B Misdemeanor(Instead of a Class C Misdemeanor)

ARGGGHHHH!! Again? They never give up do they? This would keep a lot of hunting down, especially in the UDZ. Look closely guy.. it says "passing" not just within 200 yards. that would put you a good 1/4 mile or better away from a house. in a LOT of areas that would cut off some prime hunting grounds.

When was the last time any home resident was shot by a hunter? NEVER!

Senate Bill 0263

Requires the director to establish a hunting season in which certain authentic or reproductions of rifles manufactured between 1860 and 1899 may be used.

All for it. I think straight wall pistol cartridge rifles would be a welcome addition in a hunting weapon choce.

Their range is not any greater than the slug guns we are using today. They would also be a lot more user friendly for kids and small stature (women) hunters than a slug gun. While they are at it, they need to do away with the .410. These guns are a lot better (read less kick) for kids than a .410.

House Bill 1039

Makes permanent a provision authorizing the issuance of lifetime hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses.

The IDNR already had the ability to charge more if they wanted to. Lifetime licenses are a losing proposition for them. This one wont fly.

House Bill 1066

Provides that a person who, between Oct. 1 and Jan. 15, shines a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of locating a wild animal commits a Class C Infraction. Requires the court to revoke a person's hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses for 2 years if person commits a second violation of statute.

Dumb bill. I agree with Dean. Don't pass a law mostly affecting law abiding people just to get at a few poachers. Stiffen the penalty for poaching when they are caught. Confiscation of all their stuff, including vehicles and guns and JAIL TIME.

House Bill 1091

Allows a resident who serves on active duty in the Armed Forces outside the United States during a certain period to purchase a lifetime hunting, fishing, or trapping license.

The active duty service people that were out of state during the last year when the lifetime licenses were done away with do need a chance to buy one. Good bill.

Again, this is not all of the proposed bills and is only a summarization of the proposed legislation. These bills can be read as they are written on the state website listed above.

THANKS..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  8. Bill1066 is a joke I think, I spotlight every year. I spotlight all year long, I just love watching deer. If a conservation officer sees you spotlighting he is going to pull you over, no question. I have been pulled over many times to have my vehicle searched. I welcome the search, I hate poachers. Spotlighting between Oct. and Jan. are the best time to see big deer, gee dont take that away from us. I dont think many people spotlight deer in fields and then try to get in the woods to head them off. The c.o.'s pull anyone spotlighting over anyway so if you are poaching you are gonna get caught either way.

9. There is an exception in it already..

(b) A person may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals, with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.

10. Shining isn't bad

I got pulled over this past fall by an Allen County officer. I was actually glad to get pulled over. I asked him if he'd like to search my dad's truck and he said, "This won't be necessary!" I practically begged the CO to search the vehicle but he didn't do it. As a writer, I'm just waiting on people to start accusations against me, and I shine a lot. That is why I wanted to have the vehicle searched...so it was documented that I had no weapons with me. He told me that what I was doing was legal, and that he didn't need to search my vehicle. That was cool I guess. He actually told me that real poachers don't necessarily use the big bazillion candle power lights anyways. If it goes into law, I'll abide by it. Although there are many well meaning, law abiding citizens who shine, there are also many pukes out there too. To me, it's a nice way to unwind after a day of work, etc.
    When I did my hunter's ed two years ago, the CO actually told us that we as citizens have the right to go and observe wildlife, even after dark. He also stated that the DNR wanted us to go and enjoy the wildlife, etc. He was specifically talking about shining for deer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  11. How many of you guys have forgot your gloves when shining and froze your hand off????? I know I have.

12. I agree with 1066. Ican set at deer camp and watch the spotlights go across my fields.
    It tends to spook the deer anymore. The deer don't come into the fields until later in the night. The bill would need exceptions for furbearers.

13. Cutnshoot, I beleive the dates set for the pre-1900 firearms will require blackpowder. Only guns made after 1894 used smokeless powder.

14. I could very well be wrong, but I didn't see anything in there that pertained to powder. Only the guns themselves.

We can hunt with a somkeless powder muzzleloader (Savage) in Indiana now.

15. Type of powder is not mentioned..

A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning natural and cultural resources.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SOURCE: ; (06)IN0263.1.1. --> SECTION 1. [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006] (a) As used in this SECTION, "department" refers to the department of natural resources.
    (b) Before July 1, 2007, the director of the department shall adopt rules under IC 14-22-2-6 to establish a hunting season in which rifles that meet the following requirements may be used:
    (1) The rifle is an authentic or reproduction of an exposed hammer or carbine
    rifle manufactured between 1860 and 1899.
    (2) The rifle uses lever, rolling block, or slide action.
    (3) The rifle uses ammunition that is tubular fed.
    (4) The rifle uses centerfire ammunition that is not less than .25-20 caliber.
    (5) The rifle has a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (6) The rifle does not use a box magazine.
    (7) The rifle meets any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The department may allow the use of other firearms that are
    authentic or reproductions of firearms that were manufactured before 1899 that meet requirements established by the department.
    (d) This SECTION expires July 1, 2010.