close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Coyotes

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Tine Lock, Jan 1, 2007.

1. I have gone out a few times allready and just called in a few yotes with a distress call, but I would like to get more into it. I know there are other sites to help me, and I have looked at them but I just wanted to see what info you guys can offer. I would like to know stuff like what calls work the best, best way to call in the dark, best places to sit while calling, and any other basic info that would help me out.

2. Night hunting

I too would like to get some info on hunting in the night. Called in a few last winter, but it was hard to get them in shotgun range.Did my best early morning/and sunset. Anybody know of a good red light for shining them? Have a new gun for them this year so hopefully I'll be able to bag a few more. My area seems to have quite a few this past year.

3. Any call they haven't heard before will work, just set up where you can shoot them before they circle downwind of you. It doesn't have to be an expensive call, a squeaker will work. I like the "woodpecker in distress" for loud calling. They are as smart as the smartest dog you have ever had and have the best combo of senses in the woods. So you have to control your scent, be totally camo'd and silent and be on your game to fool one!

4. I USE A REMOTE ELECTRONIC CALL WITH A MOTION DECOY, PLACED ABOUT 40 YARDS AWAY FROM ME AND ALWAYS HUNT DURING THE EARLY MORNING. I DO NOT HUNT AT NIGHT, PRIMARILY BECAUSE WHERE I HUNT IS ALL WOODED. IT`S HARD TO HUNT IN THE WOODS AT NIGHT, YOUR LIGHT IS BROKEN UP BY THE TREES.

FOR ME SITTING WHERE I HAVE A GOOD VIEW, BEING CAMO`D, AND BEING READY FOR ACTION FROM ANY DIRECTION IS THE KEY. MANY TIMES THEY WILL COME FROM THE DIRECTION THAT YOU LEAST EXPECT IT. I PREFER TO USE MY AR-15, BUT THERE HAVE BEEN MANY TIMES THAT I WISH I HAD A 12 GA BECAUSE OF SHORT RANGE OR BRUSHY, QUICK SHOTS.

5. Thanks for the info guys.

6. What you planning on going out with TL? I was thinking about giving it a try this year too, dust off the 30/30 and plunk a few...

7. Don't know for sure yet. I've just been going out with the 10/22 for right now.

8. Probably a better round than my 30-30...its just so fun...and i want to try some of that new Hornsby LeverRevolution ammo, spose to make those "cowboy rounds" useable out to 200 yards...

9. I've got a Remington .22-250 with a bull barrel and bipod and a 9x 20 scope. Still haven't taken a coyote with it, but would like to try again soon.

10. Scott, I bought a coyote howler for finding them, a rabbit distress call for long range, and a close range coaxing squealer. You've got the gun I've got the calls so let go out and gain some more experience with them. I saw one coyote on our property this year, but Jeremy (he owns woods to the west of us) said he saw 15 just during deer season. Trevor and I have howled a few times to them and have had some good progress with calling them in. We weren't planning on actually hunting them so we didn't have a gun with us, but we called one in that circled down wind of us at about 25 yards and ran .

11. I've got an electronic call that has a cottontail rabbit scream, jackrabbit scream, coyote howl, and coyote pups crying. It has a port to hook up an external speaker. I have a rabbit in distress mouth call and a hand squeaker. I have never been out to hunt a 'yote yet. Planning on getting out soon with fellow IS members. I don't have a 'yote gun but guess I could use my .22 with a good head shot or my 12 ga. with a deer slug.

12. omega

Turn that Omega on them tree!;)

13. Smoke em if ya got em!!!!

We need to get together some time tree! I haven't had much time to get out either though....

Al

14. tmarsh have you seen any sign of 'yotes out your way? sounds like a good excuse for us to get together :evilsmile