Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Long story short I'm from Michigan originally but have lived in Indy since 2010. My parents actually divorced when I was 2 and I had little contact with my father. This means I didn't really grow up doing some of the things I always wanted to like going hunting. So now I'm 30 years old and with a 2 year old of my own and figured it's time to figure some of this stuff out before he is old enough to garner an interest so we can do these things I missed out on together.

At present I want to start with small, mostly nuisance predators like coyotes, gray fox and boar. The reason why is because I own and maintain an AR-15 5.56 that I love dearly but am tired of just slugging paper with. I would love to be able to find some people who would be interested in assisting a hunting novice and perhaps go out together and hunt year-round non-regulated animals. I would like to do it this way because I already have the investments in firearms that would make this possible; and I figured starting small would only aid me as I look to eventually move to deer. Plus Michigan actually allows hunting Deer in 5.56 but there is no way I would feel comfortable attempting that until I was both comfortable with hunting and my aim; (I know enough to know shooting stationary paper at the range and shooting outside at ranged animals are two different things).

I live on the south side of Indianapolis but am willing to travel through the state to do this. Anyone interested in instilling their knowledge in a new hunter? Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome to the site, and best of times in the field for you. Since you say you live on the south side of Indy, you might want to check out the guys at Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville for info. They are a great bunch of guys. Plus it's fun to window shop. They are a big shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the site, and best of times in the field for you. Since you say you live on the south side of Indy, you might want to check out the guys at Honey Creek Tackle in Bargersville for info. They are a great bunch of guys. Plus it's fun to window shop. They are a big shop. Good luck.
Ironically I did that the day before you posted this suggestion! lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
You won't find many places to do the hunting you want here. Most of Indiana is mostly privately owned and highly populated and has very little public land. Now after I post this people will get upset start listing all of Indiana's public land, but it is very little land compared to the amount of hunters here. I grew up fishing in Minnesota every summer and my cousin is from Shelby, Michigan so all of my experience growing up was of 1,000s of lakes and endless land to hunt, so when I grew up and starting hunting and fishing here in Indiana it was a big shock to me how different it was. You've probably noticed this already. There's not a lot of opportunities in Indiana for "rifle" guys. When my cousin moved here he was upset because deer hunting with a rifle was not allowed so we went coyote hunting a few times on public land, a total waste of time and like I said before we very densely population so chances are you'll just end up calling somebody's dog to you. There are very few hog here. Lots of coyotes, but mostly on private land.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The only "unregulated" hunting I am aware of is for wild hogs in IN. Yes you can kill many animals as a nuisance but you can't actually "hunt" them. Yotes, fox, groundhogs, **** and the like all have actual hunting seasons in IN. If you have one I would suggest picking up the .22 or smaller shotgun (.410, or 20 gauge) and hunting rabbit and squirrel first. They are easier to hunt, good eating and you can find folks more willing to let you hunt private property for them. Hogs you can hunt year round, but they are in isolated pockets (which is a good thing) here in IN. IN is limited in it's public land offerings compared to many other states (especially if your from further north, or more western states). Nothing wrong with wanting to punch out a few critters that cause issues, you just have to watch how you go about it. Also don't overlook fishing. Lots of folks introduce their kids to the outdoors via fishing first, well before hunting. The earliest hunting season I am aware of off the top of my head is squirrel and it used to open in mid august....I don't squirrel hunt much any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.