close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New To The Bow

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by JMBfishing2008, Oct 8, 2005.

1. im new to bowhunting this year and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on anything that has to do with bowhunting. I was really wondering what scent to use and what broadheads are worth my buck. I need help bad.:help: :bowdown:

2. I use Grim Reaper mechanicals, and have yet to not recover my deer with in sight. As far as scent, I'm more concerned about about being scent-free than using an attractant.

3. I use Rocky Mountain Snypers (mechanical). Though I haven't had the good fortume to see my deer drop in sight of me, even with a heart shot. Personnaly I do think mechanicals are the way to go for arrow flight. As for scent I agree with billkay on being scent-free, except when I am using a decoy.

MIDH

4. Mechanical

Mechanicals fly more true than do fixed blades. I recently switched after noticing my fixed blades were hitting about 8 inches from my field points. I don't know what kind of bow you have but i would recommend something small and fast. I shoot a G2 SL and love it.

5. I guess I'm part of the con side of the issue. I have had terrible results with mechanicals, poor penitration on impact, bad flight patterns, and they've never grouped as well for me on targets as my fixed blades. My vote would be the KISS method, keep it simple. Make sure your blades are true to the fletchings, and practice a lot!
    On scents, I agree, keep your cloths and body scent free as possible, and leave the gimmicky bottles on the store shelves.
    Good body scent control and a great cammo pattern are hard to beat.

6. I just bought some Dead Head 80's and they are fixed blades im going to go out this weekend. I also bought some Scent-away and i am going to see if that works i will have to try some mechanical broadheads. Thanks abunch and keep sending those tips.

7. I also think it is very important to split at least a dozen shafts, half you practice with, the other use only for hunting, pair them all with the same heads you'll use when hunting. Again, half for practice, the other reserved for hunting only. Doing this will take out any suprizes when you get a chance for a shot. Practice the way you'll hunt! You'll be years ahead of the game that way. You may have guessed by now, I learned this the hard way.

8. QuailDancer, makes very good points. When I practice (this is personal choice) I only shoot one arrow at a target without a dot. This has two effects. One deer don't have dots so I have to pick my target area and I don't have another arrow to aim for and It makes me take my time because every arrow counts because I then have to go get it after I shoot.

MIDH

9. good point

duckhunter made an excellent point about really practicing with one arrow because that's all you're going to get. If you don't want to practice with one make the first shot before every group is the best. Also, make sure to anchor in the same spot every time. Drawing, anchoring, and shooting all need to be one repeated fluid motion.

10. I totally disagree with splitting the dozen arrows between hunting and practice.

The only way for a person to know exactly how their hunting arrow is going to fly is to shoot it.

You should always shoot a complete hunting set-up during practice. This shall include: bow, arrow, broadhead (fixed or mechanical), release aid, hunting gloves, hunting jacket, and treestand and/or blind.

The more realistic the practice the better it will be. 3-D competition is a great way to practice.

11. Splash is right that you need to test all your equipment including arrows, but I shoot all my arrows once to make sure they all fly correct and then split them.

MIDH