Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening I looked out my front picture window and saw two bucks in the field in front of my house. Each still had both antlers. One was a long-tined 6-pointer that I figured to be a 2 1/2 year old, as his rack was too large to be a yearling's. The second never offered me a profile view, so I have no idea how many points he had. As wide and tall as he was, I figured him to be a 3 1/2 year old 8 or 10-pointer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Still a little early M4.....Older deer that did a lot of breeding will drop first...They are being found now! Other deer will be another week or two. I plan on hittin it hard then. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Not dropped down south

No doubt. They are hard to find when they are still on their heads. Keep thinking, any day now. Then see a buck with both sides. Happens every year.
Think about how healthy those dudes must be....

Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in ohio alot are still holdin on to their head gear, but alot have also dropped. Alot of people are finding some fresh sheds.

Ive found one match set this year, but they are last years sheds.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
marksuttonjr said:
My digital trail camera took a video of a large buck that still had his rack on the 19th of Feb.
Give it up Mark...show us pics man!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I walked around lookin for sheds today till my legs felt like jelly and I have nothin to show for it:banghead3 :bonk:

Well I take that back....I did find a crossbow bolt, but I wasnt lookin for crossbow bolts

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Big Shed from S. Indiana....

Gary Handlin, fellow HRBP scorer, found a matched set from a 10 pointer Thurs. and Fri. He also scored deer today at a show in Southern Indiana, and a guy from Dubois brought in a shed that gross scored 108". It had roughly 4-8 inches of non-Typical growth, but was otherwise typical. Any time you have a Typical shed that nets near 100, you know that you are looking at a boss of a deer.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Here is a picture of an Illinois shed that the Wensel Brothers are selling casts of.... They have a non typical shed that is bigger than this that they are selling casts of too but this typical shed scored 105" yeah MONSTER

If some of you guys have never heard of Barry and Gene Wensel, I would highly recommend picking up the book Come November and read that baby if you want to learn about deer hunting.... I would compare these guys to the Michael Jordan of basketball, to what these guys are too deer hunting. They have a video out called Primal Dreams... This video has some of the most amazing velvet footage i have ever seen, it is a constant look at amazing deer hunting as well as an awe inspiring look into all seasons of nature. Go to their website snoop around youll be amazed to look throug their photo album at the bucks these two guys have killed with nothing but recurves.
www.brothersofthebow.com amazing stuff... Let me know what you guys think....

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Wensel Brothers

I went to a Deer Hunting Show down in Ft. Wayne back in the early 90s and The Wensel Brothers were two of the speakers that night. I remember seeing this shed (the actual shed) back then. It was an awesome evening of whitetail know how. I'm sure you guys are all familiar with "Woody"; the buck that the one brother shot with recurve in Iowa two years ago. The Wensels also put on a seminar in the spring every year at their property in Iowa. Pretty Cool. The Wensel Brothers are well known, well respected, and are two of the best bowhunters in the world...hands down. And, they've always shot traditional archery gear to boot.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
This shed was originally found in Iowa in 1980. They have the match set from 1979 when the deer was a clean 7X7. In 1980 Iowa was not open to non-residents so as far as they know nobody ever hunted this deer. If you get a chance pick up that video fo theirs though not many kill shots, they do put the thumpin on a bunch of spring turkeys. THis is their personal video footage from the past 5 years. It is amazing stuff...

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Went looking for sheds at the lake...didn't find any. Ran across some Sandhill Cranes...been seeing more and more in the past 3 years...you can't believe how big they are until you get close...and they are noisey

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If sandhills are your thing you should take a weekend to come up to Jasper Pulaski and see the migration that comes in about the middle of october. We are talking 100's of thousands stop on their travel routes at the state park. It is amazing I had to go for a college ornathology course when i was Manchester College. There are so many of those birds its unreal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts