close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Not sure what happened

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by LoveHunting, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Well, had a shot at a deer this weekend. 30 yard shot standing dead broadside in the WIDE open. I touched the release of and the arrow went straight for a fraction of a section then dove straight to the right. Ended up hitting the deer way back, but the strangest thing was i only got abou 8 inches of penetration. the arrow went in and apparently came right back out. I've never seen this happen before. I'm not sure if a blade opened up on my broadhead but something definitely went WAY wrong!:coco:

2. LH, the same thing happened to me two years ago...it's why I swore off mechanicals. I know there are guys that love them, and you can take a 100 shots at a target with no problems, but the one time you need it to work right...

Sorry to hear you had that happen.

3. Take those mechanicals and throw 'em in the dumpsta'. Why take a chance with them. Sorry it happened on a hunt instead of at the practice range.

4. no, definitely didn't find the deer, had a blood trail for about 10 seconds and then nothing...i'm sure the deer will be fine...just a little shaken up

5. I Had The Same Situation Happen To Me A Few Seasons Ago. Found Blood And Never Could Find The Deer. I Never Followed Through With My Shot. That Might Be What U Did.

6. mechanicals

I agree with tree on this one. Just like with anything "mechanical", with moving parts, you have a higher probability of something breaking or not working right.

7. I know there are guys that love mechanicals, but this is why I won't use them. Sounds like a blade opened up in flight.

I have a buddy that swears by NAP Spit Fires. He's used them for years and still uses them. But this year, he shot a doe at 20 yards right behind the shoulder. Got about 7" to 8" of penetration. We found the deer with the arrow still in her. The entrance hole was no bigger then your pinky finger. We carefully pulled the arrow back out and could tell as it was pulled out that the blades seemed closed. When we got the arrow out, we opened the blades and it took a bunch of force to get them to open. We are pretty sure the blades never opened at impact. He claims he is still going to use the Spit Fires even after this.

Get a good fixed blade head is what I would recommend. A finely tuned bow and straight spinning arrows will get you incredible accuracy out of most fixed blade heads.

8. I MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS FLETCHING CONTACT WITH YOUR REST OR STRING CONTACT WITH A COAT SLEVE. BOTH OF THESE WILL RESULT IN AN ARROW KICKING RIGHT OR LEFT SUDDENLY.

9. hey lovehunting, maybe you should get the thunderheads back you sold to me. They are working just fine.

10. Someone I know shot at a doe from the ground with a broadside shot at 20 yards. But when he shot his arrow dove right. He had his fletchings on the wrong side of his rest. That might be the problem you encountered.