close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OBR and Public Lands

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Scott Werstler, Apr 21, 2006.

1. I received a call from a taxidermist the other day who has 4-5 deer he would like measured. 1 of the deer came from Tri-County (public hunting ground) and 2 more came from land adjacent to Tri-County.

I would like to hear from guys who hunt public ground how the OBR has affected their buck sightings.

After talking with the taxidermist, my theory is that on public ground you have a lesser chance of guys being selective. They know as well as the next guy that someone new may very well be hunting that area the next day, next week, etc. Many times they have limited time to hunt or must hunt via a drawing.

Does anyone have numbers on how mature bucks have come along on the public grounds? Either by record book entrys or just plain sightings.

Are you public ground only hunters happier with what you are seeing, don't care because its the same, or disappointed because now its one buck and you are done?

2. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I hunt public ground every year. I usually kill my bucks during bow season on private ground then go set up a hunt camp with some guys from work on public ground during the gun opener. I am going to go as far and say that the one buck rule is not helping public ground very much if any at all. We do see lots of deer but just small bucks and does. Now i am sure that there is some exceptions to the rule but the odds are not in your favor of killing a giant on public ground. I dont know anyone who would pass on a young 120" 8 point on public ground. But on private grounds many people are making 130" a minimum. Just my two cents!!!

3. seabee lets get that hunt going this year maybe during bow season

let me know
    sam