close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OBR In Action

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Indy Archer, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Assume the following:
    • You intend to archery and gun hunt for deer this season
    • You have never harvested a buck with your bow and really want to achieve that goal
    • You can only shoot one buck this year
    • It is the third week of October, and you have the opportunity to shoot the buck shown in this picture.
    Would you shoot this buck?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007

2. No, too great a chance a bigger one will be by the first week of November, or in firearms. 2 buck limit and I never shot a buck with bow? It would be down.

3. no way !! i would get more pleasure watching it and killing a doe.

4. Am I hearing that the first buck that most people took with a bow was a nice, mature 8 pointer or better? I find that a little bit hard to believe.... Let's see if anyone else weighs in on this....

5. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

In my opinion most guys would have taken him if it was their first buck, me included. This is why i am a fan of the OBR, if you shoot him your done, and the bigger on that might have come by later in the season will be even bigger next year, or you could have killed the bigger one and let this guy walk till next season.

6. Assume the following:
    • You intend to archery and gun hunt for deer this season
    • You have never harvested a buck with your bow and really want to achieve that goal
    • You can only shoot one buck this year
    • It is the third week of October, and you have the opportunity to shoot the buck shown in this picture.
    Would you shoot this buck?

No, just answering your question as it was asked. My first bow buck was a 7 pointer, 145 lbs....dang he looked bigger coming in the doe decoy though!!!

7. I am going to be 59 this year and the answer to your question is NO NO NO NO NO. To be these bucks have to walk. Reason the OBR will and goes walk. Yes it is true if you would shoot this buck that the only buck you can get and yes it would let the others one grow up. But my feeling is, I can enjoy see this buck and more bucks if I get a large buck thats great and if one don't come along takes OK too, I will just not get a buck this year, BUT there is a lot of does and I will get one or two of them. Let the buck walk and grow larger and work on the 50-50 deal take a doe. That is my side.

8. Tree - are you saying that if could go back in time, you would have let the 145lb 7 pointer walk away?

410 - what are the specifics on the first buck that you took with a bow?

9. Indy...No, if I could go back I would not let him walk. Everything came together like you could only imagine...and QUICK! What I am saying in response to your question is ASSUMPTION: CAN ONLY SHOOT ONE BUCK THIS YEAR
    As I go back and re-read your question there are many assumptions to be made, of which I didn't take all into consideration.

10. Tree - thanks for setting me straight. Just doing a litmus test - checking to see if ours answers to the question asked align to the actual actions taken.

11. heck i seem to be eating deer tags every yr. well for the last 3 yrs. any way. but the last little buck i killed with a gun did not make me feel anything at all. just meat. i am hungry for a bow kill but i want something nice. had my chances but haven't connected yet. but i've let several like the picture walk. in the last 2 yrs. do i regret it? no, what i do regret is the missed oppertunities on very nice bucks.

12. 1st buck

This will be my first full season in the stand, bow only. As much as I truly understand quality management.....I will still draw the bow. Sorry boys....hopefully I will catch up to you later.

Oldrookie

13. If I was younger...I probably would have, but this buck isn't mature. I don't blame Rookie for taking this buck as a first with bow though. Actually, I don't blame Scott Werstler for taking it either...I mean...those poor little kids like venison too you know. Send Big John my best..."buddy"!!!:evilsmile !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2006