close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

outfitting / clothing

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by oldrookie, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Guys...now is the time to stock up on new wear for next season. Go to your outfitter clothing is 60 cents on the dollar. My question to you all, being a newbie, I have the walmart mossy oak working for me, is the upper end clothing worth it? White water with scent control etc $300 uppers and lowers need 3 sets in between washes, lookin at $1000 in clothing. Then you get into scent containment boots, footware etc.

What is everyone happy with? Where do you draw the line? Looking to take advantage of the sales right now....but dont want to go over board.

oldrookie

2. I swear by Natural Gear! You just become a hole in the woods, invisable.

3. Have some fun...Newby!!!!!

Rookie, If you don't want to get into the carbon suits just yet, might I suggest just purchasing some new up to date sale items at Cabela's, etc. You can get away with just washing your gear (with scent killing detergents)and storing it in airtight containers (rubbermaid, etc.) that have leaves, cornstalks, bean stubble, whatever in them to help the laundered gear soak up natural odors. Still, the carbon suits are effective, but you don't necessarily HAVE to use them. Hunting with the wind is more important than anything you'll ever wear in the woods. Even the most anal retentive scent conscious hunters still hunt with the wind. Even with all of the precautions, deer will still pick you off from time to time...no matter how cautious you are. The most important piece of info. that I could give to a Newbie is to have a blast. Learning your quarry is part of the fun for a beginner. You might even purposefully "make mistakes" to see how deer respond to you. Let your scent get to some deer downwind so you'll appreciate those sniffers for what they really are. Hunt with the wind and have fun brother!!!!!

4. First and foremost, use the wind to your advantage. If you are hunting with the right wind, you can be the smelliest sucker in the woods and still kill a deer.

Now for the disappointing news -- the wind doesn't always play by the rules. The wind can shift constantly, and certain terrain can cause the wind to swirl. The best that you can hope for is to be as scent-free as possible, on the odd chance that the wind betrays you.

You can follow one of two schools of thought. You can buy regular camo clothing and wash it in scent-free laundry soap and store it in scent-free containers, or you can buy some of the carbon-based suits such as Scent-Lok or Scent Shield. Neither should be donned until you are leaving your home or vehicle and heading into the woods. It doesn't do much good to be wearing them around collecting cigarette smoke, food smells, gasoline, etc.

I prefer the carbon-based clothing, as it gives you an extra edge should the wind shift. Also, deer are free-ranging creatures, and don't always walk where you expect them to. You might expect them to come in from upwind, but it doesn't always seem to happen that way.

I have two separate Scent-Lok suits -- one for the warmer early archery season and the other (Cabela's MT050 Whitetail Extreme) for the cold later seasons. I figure I've got right at $1000 in the two suits. I wear knee-high rubber boots in warmer weather and insulated boots in colder weather. I don't put them on until I am ready to enter the woods, and I always spray them with Scent-Away spray.

Again, hunt with the wind, and the rest is just extra insurance.

5. In my opinion there is no need to spend a fortune on the current state of the art clothing. I wear camo Columbia pants I purchased from Bass Pro Shops and a camo fleece zip up top from Wal Mart during archery season. Add some underlayers as the weather gets colder. Columbia clothing is some of the best wearing clothes out there for hunting or regular wear. The stuff lasts forever. I purchased some scent guard shirts and socks recently marked way down at Rural King so I'll give those a try next season. As others have said keep your hunting clothing/gear separate from other day to day stuff by putting in a large seal bag or rubbermaid container. They now sell bags made especially for this at Gander. Boots go on most often when I get out of the car at the hunting area. I try to step in anything that will cover my scent on the way to the stand and often use a drag rag. Again, as others have said play the wind in your favor. I have focused on this more than ever in the past few years and it has made the most difference of anything else I have tried.

6. I think if you wash your clothes in scent free soap and use the body soap as well you will be fine. Keep your clothes in an air tight tote. I put dirt in the bottom of a tote then cover it with cloth washed in scent free soap. I think this is enough if you play the wind right. Now for the part that i'll catch @#$% for, I think carbon clothes are fools gold. I dont think you have a five to eight hundred dollar advantage with carbon clothing. This stuff is way over priced. Its like everything else, a trend that will slowly decrease in price. Supply and demand. Remember when camo patterns like "ADVANTAGE" first came out??? It was high dollar hunting aparel that cost a few hundred bucks. Now its cheap. I think about what hunters do now a days, then I walk in Croutch's Market in Brown County and see the hundreds and hundreds of photos of all the monster deer killed by hunters in a flannel shirt, red wool coats, and blue jeans. I believe the industry has pulled the wool over our eyes in alot of ways. Hunters on TV beating this stuff into our fragil little minds :bash:. I have been sitting on the ground and have deer come up to me within ONE yard. They didnt smell me, but some saw me because I would move. Now dont get me wrong, im all for improving what we use, but do we need to be ROBBED for it? No. And is the advantage worth the cash...I dont think so. Some of you boys on here talk about trends 24-7, lets take a look at this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2006
  7. Hey Rook...don't make the mistake I made one time when I first started out. One time I put some acorns in a bag with my clothes. The next time I went to get my clothes out the bag was full of bugs and they were crawling all through my clothes...lesson learned...one you should avoid.

treehugger

8. Don't blame it on the acorns, tree....those "bugs" were probably crawling around in your shorts before you put the hunting clothes on!

9. Forget scent locs, scent shields and cover scents. hunt the wind..

Deer Hunters Who Eliminate Body Scent

by Mark Haskins

NORTHSTAR Search and Rescue Dog Association,

January 1997

Members from Northstar Search and Rescue Dog Association attempted an
    unscientific test, October 10, 1996, with products being used by hunters to
    eliminate their body scent.

Apparently hunters are taking extensive measures sometimes to eliminate
    their scent to get closer to deer without detection. Concerned about the
    possibility of having to search for a hunter using these products, the
    question came up of whether the dogs would be able to detect the subject if
    he was using this type of product.

Soaps & Sprays

One line of products on the market includes soap to bathe the entire body,
    soaps to launder clothing, and sprays to use on the clothing or articles
    the hunter is using. The manufacturer's management describes their product
    as superior to others because it reduces or eliminates the body's odor,
    preventing it from becoming airborne. They claim that competitors' products
    simply mask the human scent.

The Pill

The second product is a pill taken orally. The company representative
    stated that the pills are actually a drug, approved by the FDA for 40
    years. It was first on the market as a means to reduce or eliminate odors
    from patients with conditions such as colostomies or other situations that
    may make the patient or caregivers uncomfortable by the associated body or
    body waste odors that were created. When the company discovered hunters
    were using it, they began to market it solely for hunters.

Test Subject

The subject for this test was a certified field support member, who has
    also been training a SAR dog for a year. The dogs used on the test were a
    certified trailing dog, two air scent (area search) dogs, and one dog with
    a year and a half of air scent, cadaver and disaster training.

The subject used the products for five days prior to the test, according
    to the manufacturers' recommendations. The subject used the products
    accordingly, with high doses. Every stitch of clothing was carefully
    cleaned and preserved until putting them on just after the subject took a
    final shower with the special soap.

The subject placed himself, well concealed, in a wooded area, on a
    slightly overcast day, in central Minnesota. The temperature was near 50
    degrees, and the wind was gusting at 10-15 mph. One hour elapsed prior to
    the first dog beginning the search. The results by all the dogs were
    similar. There was no difficulty detecting the subject, the finds were
    definitive.

No assumptions or opinions are being drawn or offered as to these products
    and their effectiveness to deer hunters. It is noted, however, that on this
    one specific attempt and on the specific day of the test, neither the dogs
    nor the handlers altered their search plan or tactics to find the subject.

10. Good Job CNS

That has to be the best post by CNS since I became a member here!

Good JobCNS!!:) :) :)

11. If I remember correctly, deer have about 10 times more olfactory receptors than a human, while dogs have 25 times more. This makes the average dog's sense of smell two and a half times greater than a deer's.

By lowering your scent to a less perceptible level via soaps and sprays or carbon-based clothing, deer have a good chance of smelling it but not being alarmed by it. It may appear that you are very far away from them, or have passed through a long time ago. You cannot completely eliminate human scent (thus a dog's ability to track you regardless), but it can be reduced to the level where deer don't give it a second thought. Deer in farmlands tend to be desensitized to human scent somewhat, so scent elimination does serve a purpose.

12. Your Clothing Is Something That You Do Not Want To Skimp On, Spend A Little More Money And Get The Good Stuff. Buy Name Brand With Components Of Goretex, Wool Ot Thinsulate. Make Sure The Exterior Shell Is A Material That Will Be Quiet When It Is 10 Degrees. You Will Be Able To Stay On Stand Much Longer When You Purchase Quality. Cabelas` Is My Personal Favorite, However Bass Pro, Or Gander Mountian All Sell Comparable Quality.

As Far As Carbon Suits, I`ve Hunted With And Without. They Are Not A Substitute For Good Personal Hygene And Clean Clothes. Nothing Will Cover Your Scent If You Are Directly Downwind Of A Deer, Save Your Money And Spend It On Better Quality Regular Clothing.

13. i've been hunting for 10 years now while i have family members who have hunted for 30 years and longer. None of us have ever used carbon suits or even cover scents. Play the wind. While some of it does work, i and my family have had no trouble killing the deer to feed the family...this includes some very nice bucks. Save your money...just make sure you stay warm and waterproof, save the "scent-proof" for the commercialized hunters.

14. Clothing

Rookie

I will echo what most are saying here, forget the hype on the scent lock suits. Definitely disregard the hype on cover scents. I use fresh earth only because I like the smell of it. Learn to play the wind, and you will be successful.

However, I do highly recommend rubber boots. Besides allowing you to go about anywhere in the woods in comfort, and keeping you very warm-they do provide a certain amount of scent reduction. Rubber will not generally hold scent like leather.

Good Luck

DaWG

15. rubber boots stink

Your rubber boots lay down a rubber scent no matter how much you spray them with killer or cover. A mature buck will eventually bust you and you won't see him again (except for the rut when he could care less). If you want to take one on his turf in early or late season you better wear something like Elimitrax or take him before he has a chance to sniff where you've walked. I think a big buck can smell about 1ppm if he really wants to. They are still better than leather.

Scent Lok works, but most beginners should start by using scent free soap and good camo and learning to use the wind along with cover scents (fresh earth!). Then move on to the carbon once you think you need it.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006