close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Owen County??

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by JML2, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Anyone hunt Owen county for deer?

I grew up in IN and moved to MI about 6 years ago. I grew up hunting northern IN but my in-laws live in Owen County just outside of Spencer, near the small town of Patricksburg. I turkey hunt down here every year and have great success. I am planning on coming down for the gun opener and possibly bowhunting during the rut. I have several good looking spots to hunt but am just wondering what I can expect. What kind of bucks can I expect in this area? I have 3 trail cams set up and hope to get some picks soon. The problem is this area is 5 hours away from me so it limits my scouting.

Just thought there might be some guys on here that are familiar with kind of bucks this area produces.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. Expect quite a bit of hunting pressure during the gun season. I would bowhunt Nov.3-10, plenty of pope and young bucks in that area.

3. I AGREE WITH ERIC, TAKE YOUR VACATION AND BOW HUNT THE WEEK BEFORE GUN SEASON BEGINS. BECAUSE ONCE GUN SEASON STARTS, EVERYTHING CHANGES. THE AREA CONSISTANTLY PRODUCES GOOD BUCKS BUT THERE WILL BE ALOT OF PRESSURE DURING GUN SEASON.

4. Jml, I used to hunt some property along White river down there and I grew up hunting south of Cloverdale. Owen is a good #'s county, plenty of deer. I've seen a few Brutes down by the river bottoms. Eric and Brich are right, you'd be alot better off hunting the two weeks prior to gun season with your bow. Gun season is crazy in that county unless you have a lot of private property.

5. Good Idea

I hunt in Owen co. every year and they are right about the firearms pressure, but on the other hand depending on where you are hunting, it could be an easy way to bag a big buck. I hunted a corn field next to the white river there and hunters where blasting away on the other side of the field. That just made all the deer come to me.. I seen probably 30-40 deer that day just trying to get away from everyone else. I ended up getting a pretty nice buck about 9:30 a.m. . So its really up to you. There are definitely some great bucks in Owen Co...

6. Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I will try to make it down for some bowhunting before the gun opener.