Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i'm excited to be on here, I can't believe I never knew this website existed. Anyway, I was asking if anyone had any experience pheasant hunting the willow slough's put/take. I will be in zone 14. Also this will be my first time pheasant hunting. I have been wanting to go the last 2 years but never had the time or money to make it happen. Does anyone also have any tips for a hunter without a dog? Thank you for your time!

Best,
Bryce

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive hunted it for many years. I wouldnt go out with the large crowd at 9 am. Just watching some of them you can see they just walked out of Bass Pro .Safety glasses are a good idea. A friend of mine lost an eye couple years ago. You will want to keep eye out for other hunters, as you hope they see you too.
You dont need to hunt with 3inch nitro mags . Youll need a little more than dove loads.
After first couple of days the birds will make there way to the edges of the woods. Sometimes in the middle of the woods.
Alot of times guys with dogs will limit out fast, and will glady let you tag along with them to get there dogs more work. ( that is if your showing good gun handling skills) .

·
Registered
381 Posts
wow lost an eye!!!!! sounds like a place to avoid. lol

without a dog:
they will run ahead of you so youll need to walk quietly and jump them. other than put n take ill walk/push the fence rows or around swampy areas. if you hear faint rustling ahead of you run at it and flush it. you can bark like a dog if it makes it more real for ya. lol
if you can find a over grown field full of birds, that is all manicured around it(like now cover to run into)( and youll know its full of birds from all the white turds) from my experience they will just flush ahead of you and you can chase them back n forth in the same field. i have limited(wild birds) doing this many times. you dont need a dog just an understanding of the birds. very cold mornings seem to be best also for this. same goes for rabbits very cold very slow looking for them setting. as a kid i took many limits down the tracks with a .22 and 15yrd shots to head. lol at 0* rabbits will almost let you step on them.;) (if your quiet!)
there was something to do with pushing into or with the wind that made them jump more but cant recall which was which. youll learn that and much more by just hunting them tasty birds.
speaking of tasty the duck brine i posted works well with pheasants also. best to cook them in a bag with a bit of broth too imo.

now you got me thinking about poking a couple and eating them. lol havent shot any in years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi everyone i'm excited to be on here, I can't believe I never knew this website existed. Anyway, I was asking if anyone had any experience pheasant hunting the willow slough's put/take. I will be in zone 14. Also this will be my first time pheasant hunting. I have been wanting to go the last 2 years but never had the time or money to make it happen. Does anyone also have any tips for a hunter without a dog? Thank you for your time!

Best,
Bryce
Welcome to the site, the only advice I can give after a few hunts years ago, is be ready, they can look huge if one isbusting at your feet, and noisy, gets your heart pumping, good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been going to Willow since the 1970's and always enjoy it. I hunt without a dog and generally take at least 1 bird per day. Move very slowly and be quiet. Be aware of your surroundings since the hunts draw a lot of novices that may be on their first outing. I have had pellets land all around me and even had my coat hit once. I too suggest eyewear. A pair of yellow-tinted shooting glasses is my preference. They both protect and everything looks brighter on an overcast day...helps me shoot. I will be in Area 5 this year...I do better there. I use an over under with 6 shot in the first barrel and 5 in the second. A second shot is typically a longer distance and I think the larger shot helps at longer distance.

Also...a lot of hunters just hunt the open fields, but I find that once the shooting starts a large number of the birds missed fly into the wooded areas that most hunters avoid. After the first hour or so, I hit the woods. Since Willow does have a population of wild birds, they limit the hunting to cocks only so be sure not to shoot at any hens. At a few other areas, such as Atterbury, you can take either.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts