close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Planting sumac as a cover or fence.

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Bob DuCharme, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Has anyone heard of using sumac as cover?
    Can I just get seed from the red tops and break it up and spread it on the ground and have it grow?

Can I frost seed it?

If anyone has heard of this let me know. I would like to do something quick and easy along part of my property line to create a boarder that is quick. I know how fast that stuff grows, and that bucks love to rub it too.

2. I bought smooth sumac this year from the state. They are 1 year old saplings and will be delivered this spring. Cost is minimal and you have a jump start by 1 year. I was going to plant mine in grooves for cover, browse, and a place for them to rub. I am hoping they will grow well in some poor soil sites I have that won't grow much else.

If you are looking at making a border, I would recommend black locust. Be carefull because it will send out runners and form a thicket and will/can become invasive (especially on good soil), but.....
    It has thorns which might deter trespassers
    It grows like crazy. I have two year olds that are as tall as my shoulder, 4 year old specimens that are over my head, and 6 year old trees that are 6-8 inches in diameter and 15-20 feet tall. The trees matured and started flowering on the fifth year. I think the deer will eat the seed pods, I know they do on honey locust.

If you want to wait a few years, eastern red cedar would be a nice border. It is denser than white pine and seems to survive bucks rubbing them better than the pines do. They also do well in poor soil.

3. Scott, perhaps you should be the QDMA Regional Director!!!! Good post buddy! I give Scott all kinds of heck, but the kid knows his stuff. ANd, you ought to see him shoot a muzzleloader............

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006