close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Police nab accused poachers..

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by BREWERSVILLE OUTFITTERS, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hope they get what they got coming to them!

Police nab accused poachers

[​IMG]

Courtesy photo

By DIANA WIRES, dwires@tmnews.com
    PATOKA — Three Paoli men were arrested Friday for reportedly poaching at least 15 whitetail deer during the 2006 hunting season.

Matthew A. Thomas Sr., 50; Gabriel A. Thomas, 27; and Zachary R. Cook, 19, were charged after a four-month investigation by Indiana Conservation officers, according to a news release from conservation officers. “When officers begin to get so many complaints from a general area, they certainly begin to saturate that area,” said Indiana Conservation Officer Mark Farmer. He said an officer monitoring handheld radio frequencies heard a man talk about shooting a deer after dark, which is illegal. That officer couldn’t find the men that night.

The men were allegedly trespassing and using light to shoot deer after dark, and had shot from the road. The men also reportedly used a 30-30 high-powered rifle to take some of the deer.

“One thing that really helped the investigation was one of the complainants didn’t get the (license) plate number from the vehicle, but they did get a very accurate description of the vehicle,” Farmer said.

In all, officers believe the men killed at least 15 deer. Many of those were suitable for mounting, and one was seized by police at a local taxidermist. Some of the meat from the deer was given away.

During the investigation, officers seized nine antler racks and three 30-30 high-powered rifles, according to the news release.

Matthew Thomas was charged with eight counts of illegal possession and/or taking of a whitetail deer, five counts of improper tagging of a whitetail deer, illegal use of an artificial light, two counts of taking a whitetail deer after legal hours, check station violation-failure to check in a whitetail deer within 48 hours, using artificial light from a vehicle while in possession of firearm, taking a whitetail deer by aid of a motor vehicle, shooting from a public road, taking a whitetail deer with illegal weapon and over bag limit on antlered whitetail deer.

Gabriel Thomas was charged with wanton waste, check station violation-failure to check in a whitetail deer within 48 hours, five counts of illegal taking or possession of a whitetail deer, two counts of taking a whitetail deer with an illegal weapon, two counts of im-proper tagging of a whitetail deer, using artificial light from a vehicle while in possession of a firearm, taking a whitetail deer by aid of a motor vehicle, shooting from a public road, taking a whitetail deer after hours and over bag limit on antlered whitetail deer.

Cook was charged with three counts of illegal taking or possession of a whitetail deer, two counts of improper tagging of a deer, taking a whitetail deer with an illegal weapon, improper tagging of a whitetail deer, use of artificial light from a vehicle while in possession of a firearm, taking a whitetail deer by aid of a motor vehicle and over bag limit on antlered deer.

The men were arrested and issued a summons to appear in court.

Farmer encourages anyone witnessing a poaching violation to report it at (800) TIP-IDN :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

2. More scum get busted.:coolgleam

3. These jokers put a hurtin' on the local deer herd judging by the racks in the picture....rotten SOB's! I feel for the local honest hunters in the area.

4. Keep In Mind To Thank Your Local Co For Jobs Well Done , Thanks Guys!!!!!

5. This really discusts me since it is my county. I heard about this on the radio yesterday and I want to give a huge thank you to the CO's that worked this case. I know where this happend and they have alot of problems in this area. I have actually been pulled over by a CO for spotlighting there, just to see if I had any weapons. (which I didnt by the way!) There was a guy with the last name Thomas, that I caught on my land tresspassing a few years ago and he tried to lie to me and say that my dad gave him permission. HA, we dont even let family have permission! So he was not only a tresspasser, he was a F*ing liar too. I'm sure he was from the same family, if not one of the poachers caught. I would love to :bash: :bash: :bash: for giving the rest of us a bad name. PS. thanks for letting me vent.

6. &%$*#(*&#$*($&#(@*&%(*$&%(@)_)$(%)(@*#$)&#@(%(*)$#*$(#*&@&*$&*#($%(*$#&%(*&*@#$#@$#%@#$#@$#@$#@%$#%(@(*&(@(#*$&@#(*$&(@#*$&@($#*@&#$(*@$&%(*@&$#(@*%&(@*#&$(*#@$&#@$^#*.

7. Please Tony, use only Engrish on here...please.

Good job ICOs who worked this case. Thank You!!!!

8. Slobs. Glad the hear they got busted. Nice work to the CO's who nabbed them.

9. I'll volunteer to serve on the jury during their trials............

10. There are more racks in that photo than we saw at the Ft. Wayne Sports Vacation and Boat show!

11. Maybe so Quail, but I would put money that Pigeon saw plenty more "racks" that day.....

12. Um, I don't think so Quail......:rolleyes: .

13. Thank you ICO's.